How do I prevent OSX from creating all these files on my flash memory?

M57

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a Windows user, and I'm having a problem with Mac OSX. Whenever I put my flash memory into my co-worker's macintosh to transfer files to him, OSX creates a bunch of weird files, probably to improve Spotlight's search. There are two kinds of files:

1) '.DS_store' files
2) duplicate files starting with '._'

How do I stop OSX from putting those files in there? I'm tired of having to clean up my flash memory every time I use it on a mac.

Reaction score
Neither one are for Spotlight. .DS_store files are Finder settings files. Window settings like list, column or icon etc.
._ files are actually resource forks for the same named files.
They "should" be invisible in Windows too, but if not I just ignore them.
Don't know of any way to stop Finder writing them.

OP
M

M57

Reaction score
Well either way, I don't want it to create any files there. I always have the hidden files shown in my computer, so it does bother me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can't stop them from being created. I just delete them when I move the flash drive or external drive back to my Windows machine.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MB - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM - OSX 10.5.8
I deleted all the invisible crap on my flash drive and only some of it was put back on it. It freed up some space, actually.

Only thing that annoys me is the .trashes folder on mine. When I delete things on my flash drive they're still there taking up space in .trashes until I delete them from in that folder or from my computer's trash.... I made a lil app using automator that runs the bash command

"cd /volumes/noname/.trashes
rm -rf *
cd /volumes/noname/.TemporaryItems
rm -rf *"

It makes it easier for me anyway...

Reaction score
As for the .trashes folder, empty the trash before you eject the drive from the mac. Finder menu/Empty Trash.
Never seen a .TemporaryItems folder on mine. Windows trash folder?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.