Initial boot up requires 1Gb?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Hi,

I had posted this before with no response apart from questions about how I knew what I was talking about.

So I am hoping a second time round I might get an answer as I am still having the problem (if it is a problem, or just something that happens regardless)

I have a first gen 1.8Ghz MBP with the original 80Gb hard drive and it is updated to 2Gb Ram.

When I boot up, the hard drive constantly writes at full speed until it has written 1.03Gb of data on the hard drive. Needless to say that slows the performance down until it has completed and also means the hard drive is in super use each time it is switched on which is helping to wear it out.

I was wondering if anyone with any know-how could tell me why it is writing for so long and so much? I have a good stable of software installed but nothing ridiculous and when I uninstall software I use AppZapper.

I also note in Activity monitor that there are pieces of software booting up that I really don't need, but also don't want to uninstall them either and I can't figure out how to stop them doing that. I know I can quit process once they have loaded up, but I would prefer them to not load up at all. I checked in the start up folders but they don't exist in there.

As always, I would really appreciate any help on this, if not to help my hard drive write less when it boots up, then at least to understand why it has to write just over a Gig every boot.

Yours,

Mel

OP
melmation
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Its probably updating cache files as well as setting up virtual memory space, just an inevitable part of the boot process

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
For the Apps loading at start up: System Prefs > Accounts > Log in Items.
You can then remove apps from the list so they don't load at start up.
Best,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.