• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac Newbie - Hub needed for simple network?

J

Joel

Hi,

I'm just in the process of setting up the first networking we've had among computers in this house - plus, I just switched to Mac (an EMac and an IBook) from many years of PCs. We do not have highspeed service in my somewhat remote area yet, just phone-line connections.

Point of controversy: Some "experts" are telling me that for a wired connection between two Mac computers I only need an ethernet cable- no hub. I've tried it, and it seems to work fine for the printer and for file sharing.

Is a hub needed? Under what circumstances?

The Mac dealer wants to sell me a hub, and two more ethernet cables, but he was not able to make a strong case for my need for this,to my mind. It will cost me another $80, plus taxes and shipping charges.

Am I wrong in thinking that I can use either computer for the Internet,via a phone connection with one of the two linked computers, without a hub?

Big thanks!

Happy New Year,

Joel

OP
D

Danster

i really dont think you need a hub for two computers but i am not sure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Just get a Crossover Ethernet Cable....hookup the two computers together

Connect to the internet as you usually do (Dial-up I assume). Go to system preferences -> sharing and go to the internet tab. Set it to share the connection from your modem through your Ethernet and your other computer should pick up the connection through the ethernet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yup, trpn is right, n hub or anything needed unless your gonna go for a wireless connection.

OP
J

Joel

I talked with a friend this afternoon who said that he believed everything would be the same with just a cable connection as with a hub, as far as file sharing and printing goes -- except he thought that the Internet speed might be twice as fast (more or less) using a hub instead of simply a cable.

With the cable, the EMac would be directly connected to the phone jack for the dial-upconnection; with the hub, both computers would be connected to the phone connection via the hub. But would the latter really ensure better data-transfer speed?

Joel

OP
J

Joel

Apologies. I was told by a friend thismorning that my use of the term "hub" was too general - that what I was referring to (and asking about) is bettern termed a router.

Will a router, then, give us better dial-up Internet speed than just a cable link between main an secondary MacOS-X computers?

Or is the main difference that two different Internet accounts (different e-mail addresses) could be used at the same time with a router?

I'm new to this home network thing....

Help!!!

Thanks

J.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
the only way a router will increase your speed is by using one that includes a speed boosterm like some of the linksys models.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
A router will not help you unless you get some sort of broadband connection in which case you will want to get a router so you can connect both computers ethernet cables to it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.