G4 / Rage 128 Pro 2 Graphics Card / Acer 22" LCD Problem

Reaction score
So I have the combo as stated in the title of this thread, as well as a a VGA to DVI adapter going between the monitor and the card, and the little bugger still says there's no signal.

The system profiler recognizes the graphics card. I guess my problem is that the card won't recognize the LCD. I already tried putting it to sleep and waking it back up, and turning the monitor off and back on again.... and yes, I clicked "Detect Displays".

I have dual LCDs on my Mac Pro, but it came the graphics cards to support that. This Rage card I picked out and ordered blindly for this G4 from information I had gathered. Should I have gotten another card? And if so, can someone recommend me one in the cheap range? The resolution can be crappy, it just needs to work. This is just for one of the computers at my work, not for my home, so I don't care about quality of the graphics, just function.

Thank you very much in advance!

~Bunny

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome bunnygirl.

Rule One: Graphics cards ain't cheap ~ doubly so for Mac cards alas.

To run that set up look for an ATI Radeon 9800 Mac Pro or a flashed nVidia GeFoprce 6200, subject to the G4 being an AGP 4X. Early G4 Sawtooth and Gigabit Ethernet models, up to 500MHz processors, are 2X.

If the processor is 533 MHz or faster, it is a 4X.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks Harry!

Could you do me a favor and check this one out for me and make sure it's the exact model you recommended:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=V6200-128P&cpc=SCH

If it is, that price works well for me (I only paid $5 less for the rage). I'm not at work right now, so I can't say for sure, but this one looks similar to the card that's already in there. At least, I'm most positive it's of the GeForce series.

~Bunny

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is a PCI card and not an AGP. PCI works at 33v compared to AGP 66v so they are half the speed. If you have an AGP 4X that card in AGP format would be great, but if you find a flashed one it will be up around the $100.00 mark.

Do not buy the one shown as if you look at the bottom on specifications you will see it is a Windows version only.

OP
T
Reaction score
Got it. Now I'm running into my next problem... finding an AGP card that's 4x and not 8x....

http://www.antonline.com/p_256-P2-N341-LX-GP_337892.htm

Which makes me assume that this one would be overkill, and hence the G4 wouldn't be fast enough to run it, am I correct?

I apologize for my lack of knowledge with graphics cards. I'm not a computer gamer or graphic designer, so I've never had to upgrade or purchase one before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Once again it is a PC card and not flashed for use in a Mac so it would not work. Still do not know what model G4 you are using, there are dozens. This is the sort of card you are loooking for but look locally and not from here in Australia:-

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Powermac-G4-...temQQimsxZ20080907?IMSfp=TL080907144001r17143

If you read the specs through you will see it works in 2X and 4X AGP slots so it will work in G4's other than MDD or FW800 models. Read where the card is a former PC card flashed (BIOS changed) to the world of Mac.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks again for all of your help on this.

I've been in and out of the office where this Mac is at the past week, so I haven't physically had much time to look at it. I have figured out it's a Gigabit G4, and only has one AGP slot, which is already being utilized, and several (I think I counted 3) empty PCI slots. I did end up purchasing another AGP card blindly, and then figured out today that I can only have one at a time (oops).

So my guess is to do dual monitors, my second video card must be PCI.
And so I found this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mac-ATI-Radeon-...ryZ25449QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I hope this is it. My boss keeps getting frustrated because he was used to having the dual monitors with his PC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.