New MBP Colour Inaccuracy :(

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

As you are all fellow mac users, and I am new to macs, I have a quick question.. I have just purchased a mac book pro, and at first I thought its colour inaccuracy was something to do with OSX (my other machines are windows based) so I installed xp using boot camp and was surprised to see this made no difference whatsoever to colour. My Photography, web pages and anything else I view on my PC display (which is calibrated) is far more saturated than my mbp's screen. So I hooked up my mac book to an external display, and boom, a huge colour difference!

Is this an issue with mac laptops in general or just the mac book pro's?
My photo's really shine on my external display, vibrant colours.. but on my mac book pro's screen they are just washed out and lifeless.

When I make adjustments in lightroom on my mac book pro am I going to have to guess how they are going to end up looking printed? (my external dislplay colour matches my prints)

Thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OP
M
Reaction score
BY default the macs gamma is set at 1.8, to match litho printing where the mac has been a traditionally strong presence.

Firstly you need to set the gamma to 2.2, which is what windows uses, and is preferred by photographers, and recalibrate your screen

http://www.macworld.com/article/45798/2005/07/augustdigitalphoto.html

Thanks for the reply Louishen. Unfortunately I have already tried this, it doesnt really make any improvement to colour representation, it only makes the display darker and more contraster. 1.8 or 2.2 colours are still no where near as saturated as my other display (and prints).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.