USB memory stick won't work

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum, and have a 24 inch iMac, but this first question is about a Mac at work:

So we have this really old mac (im thinking OS 8 - its in a really dumb looking round purple plastic fairing.... anyway).
We need to transfer data(all 5.5 GB of it) from its harddrive to a new computer. We were going to do this with a 4 GB USB memory stick.

However, it doesn't appear to even have the software to read USB flash memory.

Its got a cd drive, but its read only.

Does anyone know where I could find a driver for the USB memory to do this, or suggest an alternate way of transfering the data?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Hi, I'm new to the forum, and have a 24 inch iMac, but this first question is about a Mac at work:

So we have this really old mac (im thinking OS 8 - its in a really dumb looking round purple plastic fairing.... anyway).
We need to transfer data(all 5.5 GB of it) from its harddrive to a new computer. We were going to do this with a 4 GB USB memory stick.

However, it doesn't appear to even have the software to read USB flash memory.

Its got a cd drive, but its read only.

Does anyone know where I could find a driver for the USB memory to do this, or suggest an alternate way of transfering the data?

How do you plan on transferring 5.5 GB of data on a 4 GB stick? That's nearly impossible, especially when you consider the fact that the actual formatted capacity is less.

Also, you shouldn't need to install any other software to transfer data to a USB flash drive.... my PNY USB drive works fine with my iMac (OS 10.5.4), and I have not had to install any software (Some sticks come with data compression, this feature is rather annoying)...

Sorry, that's the most info I can think of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lombard 400, 190cs, Wallstreet 233
Make sure that the USB stick is formatted in FAT. It could be in some odd windows format.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.