• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

what do you think?

S

sivp

I'm just wondering what the public's opinion on warez for mac are??

I know it's illegal, so theres no point repeating that another 1000 times..

but Pros and Cons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
pro: you save money

con: you run the risk of getting prosecuted ... and you wear the guilt on your soul forever! :spook:

OP
Z

zeppster

Cons:
It hurts the people who work hard but only make minimum wage.
Its not morally right.

Reaction score
Pros
You can get it quick from downloading. Easy to crack serials....

Cons
none for me... dont they only arrent people in the US?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
pro: why buy a cd for $20 when I only like 1 song on the whole thing when I can download the 1 song for free?
con:I see no cons really. there are currently many laws to protect downloaders as well, and 90% of the time, they only bust you if you have over x number of gigs of illegaly dowloaded stuff.
side note: as far as software goes, I try to purchase all my software, there have been a few times where I downloaded it and later actually bought it when I had the money. I was busted once for downloading some movies, but it was like 1 gig and after searching my computer decided it wasnt worth pursuing.

OP
D

Danster

how did you get busted? i have downloaded many things that i shouldn't have do they know that i have downloaded them??? can they scan your computer everytime your on the web?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, they can scan your mac everytime your on the web, they usually only check if they see that youre sharing and uploading to others. but its harder to get caught in bit torrent, since its not 'peer to peer'. but you can still get caught, some torrent sites are monitored at various times and your ip is tracked when you ownload a torrent file. but even then, you have to upload to others after youre done to get caught.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Well apparently you don't get the point.. it's illegal. Plain and simple, illegal, it's not worth the weight on the conscience and if when doing it there is no weight on the conscience, you should really check yourself.. that is not a good thing by any definition of the word.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Pro: Get to spend more money on Apple stuff.

Con: Can't find any darn keys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I joined iTunes and plan on downloading bought songs one at a time

OP
T

The mac 13

Danster said:
how did you get busted? i have downloaded many things that i shouldn't have do they know that i have downloaded them??? can they scan your computer everytime your on the web?

they monitor your web activity. thats how they have content child safe filters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iWhat said:

keys?
I do feel bad when downloading, knowing Im stealing money from someone who doesnt have it and makes music to do this. I also buy music fromITMS when I can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Danster said:
who's they???
I forget, its an acronym, I know it contains an N, and a P at least. they can monitor you, I got a very nasty email from them and my ISP after they alerted my ISP about it and subsequently 'busted' me. it was weird, they were like: on this day at this exact time you were illegaly downloading this file in this program from this person. it was terible, all sorts of talk about banning me from my isp and being fined up and down and having my mac confescated.

OP
S

sivp

iWhat said:

Well for keys, you just need to get a serial.app with every mac serial up to date in the database. I use it, but only on apps that i don't make money off of. I.E. photoshop CS, i just make fun stuff so whats the point of paying 800 $ for nothing..

For video on the other hand, i actually bought the production suite (education site rulez)

OP
D

Danster

When i download music i only get the tracks that i like and end up buying the album later.

And i do feel bad about the programs because it's getting to that stage were the mac is becoming more and more noticed and programers and games developers are converting their products to OS X but if they are converting them and everyone is downloading them they aren't gonna bother next time as no one's buying em
so il only download a prog if i really need it now and try and buy it later.

OP
N

ncooper15

I used to use limewire all the time, but eversince I bought my ipod mini I started to use iTunes. The pros of that are I never have to worry if I get the whole song, or if it is bad quaility, and plus $.99 is not that much for a song that I want. It is better then paying $16 for a cd with 11 songs on it. To top it off the last couple times I have tried to use limewire I can not get the correct file that I want, or it is currupt. I just do not even bother anymore. It is not worth the time or the hassel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Better than starting a new thread...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.