• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Poor Quality of YouTube Processing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently Mac Mini 1GB etc linked through to mixer etc + Sansa for portable music
I am a relative newbie when it comes to video work. However, I have created and uploaded a video in the past and the rendered quality was quite acceptable (after a couple of attempts (Lever Park Trail - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZXvTErtniM)
In the past week I have been trying to upload footage that I recorded at the Gateshead Athletics Meeting last Sunday. No matter what quality I get from iMovie, YouTube renders absolute rubbish. I've tried various settings recommended on various forums to no avail.
Is YouTube now dead unless you are a big company trying to promote a product? Has anyone experience of other providers e.g. Metacafe?
Or a failsafe set of settings to create good quality movies which include fast action.

I have my own webspace but that is limited to 250MB and I use most of that for provisioning radio show podcasts on behalf of the presenters, so I don't have the spare capacity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Yeah, it's just YouTube. Some videos can be viewed in quality, but the default resolution on YouTube is 640x480. I think if you have YouTube partnership it's higher. Sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro (early '08), 2.6 dual core duo, 2 gb ram, 200 gb 7200 rpm hd, running Leopard
For YouTube you are only limited by the size of your file (1080 mb). Keep in mind that the site is re-compressing your video so that it works in their flash player. By uploading a high-quality video, YouTube will scale that down for you to fit the 640x480 aspect ration but it should maintain the quality of the picture (for the most part). What is the aspect ratio of your original file? What I try to do is keep it as large as possible (1080x720 usually) while staying just under the max file size. Export your vid as a Quicktime with a H.264 compression codec and you should be just fine.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently Mac Mini 1GB etc linked through to mixer etc + Sansa for portable music
I've used various tests - 640 x 480 is the maximum size I used. I expect it to work with H.264.
As I said earlier I've tried various settings based on recommendations posted around the web.
What is annoying is that I got acceptable quality back in June with a much longer video (just under 10 minutes). I think I'll resend that video (I use private setting when testing) and see what happens. I do think that YouTube has changed something possibly to offset the volume they receive.
Just done a search and I must have deleted the original .mov file that I generated - I suppose I thought I wouldn't need it again after a few weeks, having the original project files

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll export to QT using 640x480, H.264, 30fps, key frames every 3 frames, best quality, multi-pass, auto data rate.
Sound is AAC mono 32bps, Fast Start for Internet Streaming

(I'm using iMovieHD - v5.0.2)

I have exported at 1024x768 but that created a file of 178MB which exceeds YouTube's limit, so second pass is at standard VGA resolution.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now is acceptable quality, provided you go to the full YouTube player then switch to High Quality - I can't see the option when you view it from your upload area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
It's very annoying. So far these solutions seem to be working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Looks SO bad. It is MUCH higher quality.... quite disappointed with iMovie.
I'm confused. WHY are you blaming iMovie?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Some of you might be interested in a couple of Guides I've put online. They are titled 'Preparing Video for YouTube' and 'iMovie Export Guide'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

That video looked squished. I think you need to export it at 640x480 and preserve the aspect ratio so that you will get black bars on the top and bottom of the result. Or export the size in the appropriate aspect ratio and see if YouTube will work with that. Something like 640x360. What ever makes sense.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some of you might be interested in a couple of Guides I've put online. They are titled 'Preparing Video for YouTube' and 'iMovie Export Guide'.
Thanks - I did refer to your guides when testing - part of the problem is that YouTube provides two levels of quality: standard and high - but I can see only standard when initially uploading. BTW the video is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed8d2JqBzcg

I'll look further at your guides as my 32 second video produced a 91MB file whereas my early video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZXvTErtniM&feature=user is almost ten minutes long yet I generated a quicktime movie of less than 100MB. Admittedly the action is not as fast as with the world's top sprinters but it doesn't seem to have much quality loss. Need to post the video of Asafa Powell running probably the world record for 100m in atrocious weather.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks - I did refer to your guides when testing - part of the problem is that YouTube provides two levels of quality: standard and high - but I can see only standard when initially uploading. BTW the video is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed8d2JqBzcg

I just watched it. In standard quality mode, the YT default, it seemed washed out. I then clicked the "watch in high quality" link just to the lower right of the video and the quality was nice. I could clearly make things out.

One note. I think you should add 1 or 2 seconds to the end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
I'm confused. WHY are you blaming iMovie?

I'm not blaming iMovie.... or at least I didn't mean to come across as blaming it. I export directly from iMovie to Youtube.... so I'm not really iMovie, I'm just saying that it really compressed my movie when I exported it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlueMac,

I suggest you try the QuickTime export option as listed in my guide. You have much more control and eliminate the unknown export quality that occurs directly from iMovie to YouTube. Actually you can know the quality by digging to find the file in the "Movies/iMovie Projects/<projectName>.rcproject/Movies" folder.

Also, if your video on YT eventually lets you view it in high quality, check it out. There really is a big difference from the standard quality. I still think Vimeo does a better job with the re-encoding process.

Lastly, as a YouTube member, you can set for your account how you prefer to watch the playback of videos. After logging in, chose the Account link and More..., then under the Account heading select 'Video Playback Quality'. There you will see three options.

Reaction score
Forgive me for possibly a stupid question, but how do you set the video you've uploaded on youtube to have the option to play in high quality?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think you can preset the quality choice for others to view high quality via YouTube. You can set it up though for you to view videos in HQ if you have an account. See this answer.

If the video has a high quality choice then on the YouTube page just below the right bottom of the video is a link that says "watch in high quality".

If you are placing the video as a link on your own page then you can add to the end of the link "&fmt=18". I think this story has enough information to understand that.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
You could try uploading to another video hosting site such as Vimeo. Some of them will even allow you to upload and stream High Def video. Youtube really does suck in the quality department.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.