Made the decision to switch over

V

vder

I have made the decision to switch over , now I need advise on what is good to get. Interested in a G5 machine ,already have the 23 inch monitor. Thanks for your input. :cool:

OP
P

Prometheus

Well it depends on what you want to use the machine for I guess? If you want a G5 you should be looking at an iMac or Powermac. The iMac comes with a "built in" moniter, where as you will need a separate moniter for a powermac. Here in Uk for the price of the 17" 1.8GHZ iMac you can get the 1.8GHz Powermac, which will allow you to upgrade further. Depends on your budget and what you want to do at the end of the day I guess.

Reaction score
vder said:
I have made the decision to switch over , now I need advise on what is good to get. Interested in a G5 machine ,already have the 23 inch monitor. Thanks for your input. :cool:

Already have the 23" do ya....lucky dog ! Well, that kind of limits you though, the Imac, which by the way is a great system at a very good price comes with built in monitor so you would probably be more interested in a PowerMac G5 then. More money of course, but more horsepower too. Depending what you want to do will point you to which of the PowerMacs to buy. The one with the dual 2.5 processors is great for power users who want top end power, but the dual 2.0 does a great job for about $500 less, and the bottom end model would probably make most people quite happy and with more money left in their pocket.

OP
?

)(*

dude, apple monitors are the best. their so beautiful.

i recomend the powermac with the superdrive and at least 512MB of ram.

dual 1.8 is great for anything
dual 2.0 has the same motherboard and expansion capabilites as the 2.5
dual 2.5 will knock you out of the chair its so fast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17"
Also trying to decide which Mac

Do I go for the iMac G5 20" or a dual G5 2.0 using my current 19" crt with KVM switch with my PC?

Mostly just general home stuff but also photo printing and editing, dvd ripping and rendering.

Reaction score
mikegold said:
Do I go for the iMac G5 20" or a dual G5 2.0 using my current 19" crt with KVM switch with my PC?

Mostly just general home stuff but also photo printing and editing, dvd ripping and rendering.

Depends on your finances. I would vote for the G5 Dual 2.0, that is what I have and love it. But it is about $800/900 more than the iMac G5 with 20". While I also love my wife's iMac, a great machine, if you can afford it I would go with the G5 dualie as it can be upgraded much more than the iMac can. I use a Samsung 20" monitor with my G5 and it works just fine.

Either way both machines will do what you mentioned just fine.

OP
B

bobx2001

give me your apple display, and buy a imac ;)

just kidding, get your self a powermac g5

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.