Key problem part two

C

chintz

Hello, I have had my 15" PB for a month now and I am very pleased with it, however today when I tried to use the number 1 key it would not work I can use shift + 1 to get the ! but 1 on its own will not work, all the other keys appear to be working fine.

Can anyone help me or do you thing i need to send it back to Apple?

BTW way I typed 1 in this post by using the num lock and j combination.

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
have you changed your keyboard layout at all?

OP
C

chintz

Macman said:
have you changed your keyboard layout at all?

I don't think so, at least not on purpose How can I tell?( sorry I am still a bit of a mac Noob)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
go into system prefs, click international, click the input menu tab, click show keyboard viewer. then in the bar at the top of the screen, click the flag, and click kb viewer, then type 1 with that 1 key, see if it shows 1 being pushed, if not, it may just be a problem with the key. also, zap your pram and repair permissions to be sure.

OP
C

chintz

Macman said:
go into system prefs, click international, click the input menu tab, click show keyboard viewer. then in the bar at the top of the screen, click the flag, and click kb viewer, then type 1 with that 1 key, see if it shows 1 being pushed, if not, it may just be a problem with the key. also, zap your pram and repair permissions to be sure.

after doing the above it still does not work, even if with the keyboard viewer showing and using my mouse to click on 1

Just one other thing i repaired permissions but I am not sure how to "zap my pram"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm, so if you type 1, kb viewer doesnt show any action? that could be a physical problem with the keyboard, or most likely that 1 key. to zap your pram, shut down your mac, and start it up holding down command+option+P+R, after it 'chimes' twice, release the keys and let it continue to start up.

OP
C

chintz

Thanks for your help Macman, it looks like it needs to go back to Apple best start backing up my itunes and iphoto folders.

OP
C

chintz

chintz said:
Thanks for your help Macman, it looks like it needs to go back to Apple best start backing up my itunes and iphoto folders.

Update

my problem was that I had the 1 key set as a soft key in the speach settings, deselected it and it now works fine.

;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.