Can't see my eSATA drive!

S

satrop

Good day all,

I'm haveing problems using my extranal eSATA drive with my Mac Pro. So I got the internal eSATA extension cable and installed it. My eSATA case came yesterday and in put my 750GB HDD in it. Conected that to my computer, turned the drive on then turned on the Pro. The drive doesn't sown up on the desktop, but it does show up in the "Disk Util". I tried to format the drive, no joy, I keep getting error messages I cant remember what right now nt at my home computer. But there something "Blragh.. is busy" and "something wrong with the read/ wright... thingy" REALLY sorry I can't recall what the errors are. So can anyone tell me what I might be missing? Do I need drivers? Note, no CD came with the external HD case. Any help would be great as I would really like to use the extra speeds with eSATA.

Thanks all!:)

Reaction score
Getting error messages with Disk Utility could be a real deal breaker. But we really do need the error message!

OP
S

satrop

So here's the long of it. In the eSATA external case I have a

"750 GB Seagate ST3750840AS Barracuda 7200.10 SATA II". The case it is in is a

"Icy Box 3.5 with USB and eSATA" It came with NO install CD.

So I start up the Pro with External HDD powered on. It does not show up on the desktop. I got to the "Disk Util" and I can see it there. I know this drive works as I have tried in internally, and I have formatted (internally). Here are the stats on the HDD (when it is in the icy box)

Disk Description : ST3750840AS Media
Connection Bus : Serial ATA 2
Connection Type: Internal (that seams odd)
Total Capacity : 695.6 GB (750,156,374,016 Bytes)
Write Status : Read/Wright
S.M.A.R.T. Status : Verified
Partition Map Scheme : Unformatted

So I go to Erase the HDD with these setting:

Volume Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Name:Extrenal eSATA Drive

*note, I have tried all the "Volume Formats" but I get this error

"Disk Erase failed with the error:

Input/output error"

The drive is unmounted. I have not kicked it (yet). So with all that can anyone help? Because I have not got a clue??

Thanks all!!

Reaction score
It says 'internal' because it is running off of an internal card, so that isn't a problem. You do not need an installation CD of any kind, that is just the glory of the Mac and its Unix roots. The problem is the Icy box. You know the drive is good and it sounds from your description that it is already formatted. There is something wrong with that box. Do the simple stuff, loose connections, can you pop in any other drive? Connect via USB, is there a switch for USB/esata?

OP
S

satrop

I have tried connecting via USB. And guess what!? It pops up right on the desktop. The is NO switch for switching between USB/eSATA. I have tried the connections, still no good!

Errr? What next? Hammer?? LOL

OP
S

satrop

OK! Swapped out the drive, so in the external case is a Western Digital. Everything is great.... No! No it isn't. So I can now see the eSATA in the finder. So before i did anything else I decided to see if I cold transfer a folder... nop! I get this error message come up..

The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "JessDeskTop.psd" could not be read or written. (Error code -36)

(I was trying to copy a folder of stuff). So I click "OK" and it just hangs with the "Copying 17 Items to..." it hangs, then I have to relaunch the finder. So now here's the kicker! I can copy one file at a time. But on some files I get the above error message.

Now I really have no idea??

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What ESata card is in the Mac Pro? Since the drive works great with USB, I am wondering if it's the ESata in the case or the ESata card causing the issue.

OP
S

satrop

I'm using the internal eSATA on the mother board. I've got an extension cable running from the mother board the back. Does that make sense?

OP
S

satrop

Seriously now! Arrrrgh! Has any one got any other ideas?? Because I spent, not a lot of money on getting this thing sorted but enough for me to WANT to make this work.

I tried this. Whilst the drive was connected via USB, I partitioned the 750GB HD in three equal parts. I did this because I thought maybe the drive wasn't being seen because it was to big... I turn of the Pro. Re-connect the external HDD with the eSATA connection, power on the drive, power on the Pro. Open up "Disk Util" and...the 750GB drive is now only seen as 232GB (the first partition) the rest of the drive???? I don't know. SO I try and verify the disk. OK! Spinning beach ball... ticking/ worring from the drive... something is happening?

Then I get this error...

Disk Utility stopped verifying “Untitled 2” because the following error was encountered:

Filesystem verify or repair failed.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT?? WHAT IS THIS?? HOW DO I FIX??

I'm so mad, I could cry!

So to help "Steve" stop crying, please post some help, we have enough rain here in England and we don't need any more water. LOL. But really I would love to know WTH is going on.

Thanks all!

Reaction score
There is a limit to the size of a hard drive that OS X and SATA drives can see, but that is orders of magnitude bigger than yours, so that isn't it...
I think you have diagnosed the problem: you have two known good drives, neither of which work in that enclosure. Something is wrong with the sata connection on that box. I am a little confused by the cable from the sata port on the mother board... I've never tried doing that. Do I understand you correctly that you do not have a sata card?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This is CORRECT! I do NOT! Have a SATA card. I have a SATA extension cable. Check this out> http://www.newertech.com/products/esata_cable.php this will enplane all. Not sure if I can upload pics on here, but if I can I'll be more than happy to show you what I mean!

Where do you have that extender plugged in? There are the 4 SATA Drive Bays. I believe there are other SATA ports on the board I have been told for even Optical drives.

What happens if you install that 750 GB in one of the bays? Does all work right? I will do some searching around the net and see abount the other SATA connectors on the Mac Pros motherboard. I wonder somehow if there is a difference? If not then it still points to that external drive enclosure.

OP
S

satrop

I have the extender plugged into the two extra SATA ports on the motherbord. There just behind the the fans at the front of the Pro. I have install the 750GB HDD in bay 3 it works, I can erase the drive and it works 100% fine. So Are we looking at the external drive enclouser to be at fault? It does work fine when the USB is pulged in...?

OP
S

satrop

The 750 GB HDD has a APM where as the other two have GUID. Will this make any difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro quad-core 2.66gHz, Leopard, 9gb RAM, one 250gb, two 500gb and three 1tb internal SATA drives
I feel your pain satrop

I have the same MacPro as yours and am running two extra SATA drives off from those two motherboard ports you mentioned without any problems. My extra drives are housed inside optical bay #2 so I'm not using the extender cable.

I've been having a disappearing drive problem that's different from yours. Five of my six internal SATA Seagate drives disappeared from desktop and Finder over several days. Two partitions on two external firewire drives also disappeared. Then I could only see these drives in Disk Utility or Photoshop Bridge.

I corrected it by copying off the files (not drives) to another drive, formatting the problem drives, and copying the files (not drives) back to the problem drive. When I copied the drive (not files) using Carbon Copy, SuperDuper or Disk Utility, the target drive disappeared too. There seems to be an "invisible bit" that makes drives, partitions or folders disappear. When I copy the whole drive I copy the invisible bit too.

Others with this invisible drive problem said that it was triggered by using the Spotlight comment area so I'm not typing any comments into Spotlight.

If you ever take your MacPro to an Apple store Genius Bar, keep in mind that they may not work on your machine if you're using those two motherboard ports. They told me that they're intended only for Apple tech support personnel. So, last time I took it to the Genius Bar, I removed my two optical bay #2 drives along with cabling and mounting and replaced the original optical drive cage. WHAT A HASSLE....

OP
S

satrop

SO I'm a bit stubborn! And I cant let this lie! Did a bit more digging around. Found some info about the drive may have had it "Hidden" bit set to true. So the drive could not been seen in finder. So I found the script to change that.. and guess what?? NO! That didn't work either!

Bummer

OP
S

satrop

Ok! New error now!

The disk “eSATA” could not be mounted.

Try running First Aid on the disk and then retry mounting.

So I have my TM back up on there and it can't see any of it, it say there is 698GB on this disk. WRONG! And the disk is unmounted. I try to mount the disk and I get the above error. I can take out the SATA cable and plug it in via USB and I can see all the data on that drive. So, any one got any ideas of shall I just forget about it??

OP
S

satrop

OMG! Now I've just gone back to disk utill and it sees all the files on there... but! I can't do anything as I have the spinning beach ball!?? OMG I am mad!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.