Can't see my eSATA drive!

OP
S

satrop

eSATA proble solved!

Good news nobody (Futurama fan:Smirk: ),

after... I dont know how long? I have my eSATA working. This is what the problem was for me. It was stupid easy! As are most problem are.

I had a SeaGate Hd in the external case. I swaped it out for a WD HD and that was it! Done, fixed, finished! I now have a fully working eSATA drive. At last.

So it looks like SeaGate doesn't make the right drives for there HD's for them to work as an eSATA, strange as the computer still see's the HD as an internal HD. So if anyone is haveing issues just have a look at what make HD is in the external case!

Take it easy you'll!

Reaction score
I have a OWC Mercury Elite Pro -AL Dual SATA Drive Enclosure and a 1Tb Seagate drive for timemachine. As there is no chipset inside, I can't have compatibility problems as seen in other external enclosures with USB/Firewire/eSata combos.

Normally all is OK, but sometimes timemachine fails backing up. If I try to write to the disk, I receive an error. The disk can't be dismounted.

Other times the disk simply dissapear from the desktop. In disk utility I can see it but it can not be mounted.

It is extrange, because all is normally fine, and I have not found a reason for this behaviour...

I'll try to use that disk in an internal bay for some days... So I will know if the drive is faulty or the problem is in the newertech esata extender (or the external esata cable)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.