Extending my network

Reaction score
Hey all. First of all, thanks in advance for the help...

Here's my issue. I have an Airport Extreme Router w/ the newest firmware and all. I use it as my wireless network and connect to it with my iBook G4. It works fantastically. Here's my issue. I also have a Netgear FVS318 router. What I want to do is hardwire the Netgear router into the Airport Extreme, thus extending the network, and making me able to hardwire my Xbox and Tivo into it on the other side of my room. My issue is that I can't figure out how to configure my Airport Extreme to allow the Netgear into it, and in addition I can't figure out how to log in to the Netgear router.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks again guys and gals.

--Colin

Reaction score
I have a different router, but I am doing pretty much what you are asking about. In my case, my hookup is: The Cable Modem connects to the WAN port of the router. Some of the router's LAN ports are used for wired devices, and one of the LAN ports feeds the WAN port of the Airport Extreme Base Station (set for Bridge Mode). The AEBS is set to acquire an address automatically using DHCP. This setup has been working for me for several months with no problems.

As to how to log into your Netgear router, the best suggestion (if you have lost the owner's manual) is to go to the Netgear website. In the "Support" section for your model, you will be able to download a copy of the manual.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.