iMac G5...Turning display off?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
How can I turn the display off without sleeping or shutting down the machine? This could be very annoying!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
why would you want to turn the display off and not the mac?I dont think its possible on the g5 imac, unless another monitor is connected and you select that as the one to use.

Reaction score
ApplejustWorks said:
How can I turn the display off without sleeping or shutting down the machine? This could be very annoying!

Try looking in your system preferences under "Energy Saver" click on the "Put the display to sleep when the computer is inactive for". That will allow you to shut off the monitor without shutting down the computer.

However, without a monitor having the computer alive really doesn't do you much good that I can see unless you just want to shut off the monitor and keep an internet connection open all night or something to host a web page or something. Otherwise putting the whole system to sleep sounds much smarter.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, the actual reason is....my brother, the owner of the iMac, had a headache. He wanted to listen to some music via his iMac, but wanted to shut all the lights off.

So, basically, as I stated originally...Anyone know how to shut the display off without sleeping or shutting down the machine?

There MUST be a way to do this........I mean..how could Apple forget this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the only way I can think is activate a screensaver, ones thats solid black only, there are a few, or lower the brigyhtness all the way down til the screen is black.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
In the Apple store I accidently shut off a display by touching the little white light on it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
witeshark said:
In the Apple store I accidently shut off a display by touching the little white light on it
no, that puts it to sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Wouln't you want the Mac to sleep if you are not viewing anything? What would you run that you wouldn't want to see? Well anyway, in system preferences I set my display to shut off if the Mac is inactive for 1 minute

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
witeshark said:
Wouln't you want the Mac to sleep if you are not viewing anything? What would you run that you wouldn't want to see? Well anyway, in system preferences I set my display to shut off if the Mac is inactive for 1 minute

Refer to post four...

Btw...Happy new year!

Reaction score
ApplejustWorks said:
Refer to post four...

Btw...Happy new year!

Hmmm... sorry about my earlier suggestion of using the power saver function... it doesn't work. It will dim the screen, but not shut it off. As far as I can see, there is no way to do what you want. The only way i can see is maybe get a screen saver that gives you a black screen. There is one called computer name that gives a lot of black that might be something you can live with, other than that I don't see any way to do it on the iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
or do as I suggested, turn the contrast all the way down, of course the power buttonon the front will still be lit.I used to have a screensaver that was just black.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.