About to switch... back

I

ifpt999

My favorite thing about owning a Mac is how Apple likes to pretend I don't exist. Literally. I get a good laugh when I go to the Apple home page searching for downloads, apple.com/downloads takes me directly to OSX downloads.

See, I'm the Mac user no one talks about. I use an OS9 machine. And my computer is practically worthless.

I got my G3 PowerBook from work a year and a half ago. The Geniuses at the Apple store downtown (Dallas) tell me I can't really upgrade to OSX because my computer can't support it. When I owned a PC, I would ask questions like, "Do I just need to buy more ram?" or "Will a brand new processor work?" This is far too complicated and expensive when you own a Mac.

So I find myself in this very peculiar position. Apple wants me so badly to upgrade to OSX (and buy another computer), they're willing to make my current machine completely irrelevant to force me to change. What other signal do they send when I read that Safari "Works with all platforms!" and then come to learn it works with all platforms except older Mac platforms. So currently it's as if my computer is in stasis - basically unable to use any programs written after 2002. And the geniuses at the Apple store couldn't even find a spare system disk.

So I'll be switching. And because I don't have money, I'll be switching back to the PII I bought in 1998. Because I put Windows 2000 on it, I think I should be able to download and use Safari (thank you Apple for making your program cross-platform compatible!). And there are so many every-day grievances with the Mac that I won't miss. Two buttons on my PC mouse sure does seem like an upgrade. I'll be able to change file extensions without downloading a shareware program and reading a manual. And I won't even lose much mobility. Sure my laptop can go anywhere, but the 30-second battery life makes for a short leash.

I will miss something, though. Many of my PC using friends think I'm a bit cooler for owning a Mac. I've always known better. There's really nothing cool about paying more money for a machine that the manufacturer conspires to make obsolete after three years. It's not cool - it's a money pit.

OP
S

sivp

Personally i think it will be a **** of a lot slower... and have fun fighting with viruses, trojans and worms...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
well, im sorry apple 'thinks' your g3 powerbook wont support os x, Ive installed panther on a g3 pbook before, as long as you have the minimum 128 mb of ram and enough hd space, its fine. so upgrading to osx should fix more than half your problems, and as far as the 2 click mouse, you can control click for the same(almmost the same) menu, and the one click mouse is more than functional enough for the avid/average mac user. the one click mouse is also about class, and sophistication on a level which no brown/grey box running windows will ever reach. as fasr as the cost of upgrades and such, if you look online, you can find things DIRT cheap. never go directly to apple. heck, even local mac retailers should have clearance areas as they do here. and as for your everyday grievances, Im sure those are mostly user induced problems.:mac:
and these forums arent for whiners, if youre really unhappy and feel like switching back, do so, dont try to make a big deal out of it and try to see what others will say. though youll actually be taking several steps backwards switching back to a wintel machine.

Reaction score
ifpt999 said:
See, I'm the Mac user no one talks about. I use an OS9 machine. And my computer is practically worthless.

I got my G3 PowerBook from work a year and a half ago. The Geniuses at the Apple store downtown (Dallas) tell me I can't really upgrade to OSX because my computer can't support it. When I owned a PC, I would ask questions like, "Do I just need to buy more ram?" or "Will a brand new processor work?" This is far too complicated and expensive when you own a Mac.

So I find myself in this very peculiar position. Apple wants me so badly to upgrade to OSX (and buy another computer), they're willing to make my current machine completely irrelevant to force me to change. What other signal do they send when I read that Safari "Works with all platforms!" and then come to learn it works with all platforms except older Mac platforms. So currently it's as if my computer is in stasis - basically unable to use any programs written after 2002. And the geniuses at the Apple store couldn't even find a spare system disk.

So I'll be switching. And because I don't have money, I'll be switching back to the PII I bought in 1998. Because I put Windows 2000 on it, I think I should be able to download and use Safari (thank you Apple for making your program cross-platform compatible!). And there are so many every-day grievances with the Mac that I won't miss. Two buttons on my PC mouse sure does seem like an upgrade. I'll be able to change file extensions without downloading a shareware program and reading a manual. And I won't even lose much mobility. Sure my laptop can go anywhere, but the 30-second battery life makes for a short leash.

I will miss something, though. Many of my PC using friends think I'm a bit cooler for owning a Mac. I've always known better. There's really nothing cool about paying more money for a machine that the manufacturer conspires to make obsolete after three years. It's not cool - it's a money pit.

Yep, OS9 is in the process of "biting the big one".. Many improvements have been made since it was top dog... ie: windows 3.1, windows 95, windows 98, ME, NT, windows 2000, Xp..... I guess Apple doesn't have the market cornered on that do they...

Idiots abound in the computer market on both sides of the fence. Those who are telling you that you can't do it should talk to MackMan, he seems to have done so...As for keeping your old machine at OS9, just how long do you figure a company should support an old system? Upgrade to OS x for heaven sakes and keep truckin...

So, your a two button mouse man are you...me too, i am so used to them that the one button just didn't seem right... nothing stopping you from using a 2 button mouse is there? I do with my PowerMac G5 and so does my wife with her iMac G5... We also don't like the Apple keyboards and both use a split keyboard from Microsoft...(UGH) but what the heck it works.

30 second battery life....really? that certainly sucks big time doesn't it...

Three years to obsolete? God I would love to have a machine that would take three years to be obsolete... It has been my experience over the last 25 years that when you buy a new computer your lucky if you get it home and set up before a new model hits the shelves...but somehow I always manage to use em for a few years anyway till the New Computer bug bites again and off I go to la la land and buy a new "latest greatest"....

Sorry your leaving the Mac world with such a bad taste in your mouth. I think if you will think about it you will see it's not such a bad place to be, especially when you compair it to PC Land...upgrade to OS X and get a few more years outa that beast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
I love it when you said Apple "conspired" to make the machine obsolete as if them making a better OS was somehow tricking us out of our money. Lets all halt any progress and stay exactly where we are in terms of technology so you never need to buy a new computer shall we?

OP
I

ifpt999

edgefusion said:
I love it when you said Apple "conspired" to make the machine obsolete as if them making a better OS was somehow tricking us out of our money. Lets all halt any progress and stay exactly where we are in terms of technology so you never need to buy a new computer shall we?

I didn't want to get into a big Mac/PC debate. I've just got a lot of frustration that Apple seems bent on accelerating OS9s demise. If they can make iTunes 4.7 for OSX and assorted Windows platforms, why can't they make it for OS9? Is Windows 2000 really better than OS9? This isn't just progress. It's willfull omission of OS9 users. It's like saying, "It's time for you guys to catch up. It's time to start upgrading at our pace."

You're right. Maybe "conspired" was a little strong. It's more like a business model. And that makes perfect sense. Apple can't sell computers to as many people as PC manufacturers do. So they set out to sell more computers to their current customers. Is this why the Mac Store genius tried to sell me a new one?

And one more thing: Talking about the "class and sophistication" of a one-button mouse is really funny.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
there is no mac/pc debate, macs are simply far superior in any and every way. but as far as os 9 users, as the same thing like if chevy makes a 69 camaro, they wont sell you parts for it now, though there you cant upgrade, only buy a new one or pay up the arse for those parts from a 3rd party parts shop. you can upgrade your pbook to mac os x, I recommend you do it before considering switching and waiting for windows to push you back to mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
1. Apple hasn't made G3 PowerBooks since late 2000. Your system is at least four years old.

2. Any G3 system will run Jaguar (10.2.x) if it has enough memory. This includes your PowerBook.

3. Any G3 PowerBook manufactured after May 1999 will run Panther (10.3.x, the "latest and greatest" Mac OS) if it has enough memory. If the Apple "Geniuses" said your system didn't support Panther, then it must be at least five and a half years old.

Apple has moved on to OS X. Microsoft has moved on to Windows XP. If you're using six-year-old hardware, you'll have problems finding support no matter what OS you're using. There's nothing special about the Mac in this regard, unfortunately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Windows as it is cannot be fixed. The registry can't be defended and this amounts to allowing root access to anyone Any version of OS X would be better and won't be obsolete any time soon. But on the pc, at least use Linux IMO

Reaction score
sivp said:
Personally i think it will be a **** of a lot slower... and have fun fighting with viruses, trojans and worms...
You know it isn't that common to get a virus if you have anti-virus software... And if you do get a virus... most of them dont do any damage. I'd use windows anyday over OS 9. I don't mean to be backing up windows..

Reaction score
Just because you have windows doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a virus. in fact, chances are fairly slim if you use common sense, run windows update regularly and have virus protection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
soulreaver99 said:
Just because you have windows doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a virus. in fact, chances are fairly slim if you use common sense, run windows update regularly and have virus protection.
Well, I don't really want to get into a mac vs PC debate now, but my friend goot his pc laptop around the same time as I got my iBook.

We're both fairly capable computer users and he has all the latest windows updates and all the protection software you need and we STILL spent all afternoon yesterday trying to rid his laptop of viruses... (he wanted to run the music for our new years party off the laptop but the virus scanner kept popping up...)

To the original poster:

Judging by some of the replys here, I'd say you haven't been informed properly...

1) You SHOULD be able to upgrade to OS X.

2) "When I owned a PC, I would ask questions like, "Do I just need to buy more ram?" or "Will a brand new processor work?" This is far too complicated and expensive when you own a Mac. "

That's not really true: Whether you own a PC notebook or a mac notebook - you'll be hard pressed to find a processor upgrade for ANY notebook because it's simply not offered. RAM prices are the same for macs as they are for PC's - buy from a reliable 3rd party and you can even save a bit over apple's prices..

3)"I think I should be able to download and use Safari (thank you Apple for making your program cross-platform compatible!)"

Actually you should check that again - there is no version of safari for windows, but firefox is very similar.
I think apple compares safari with other browsers on other platforms and then states: Safari: "The fastest browser on the mac - the best browser on any platform"

So not the browser that works best on any platform, but the browser that beats all the browsers on any platform...

Anyway, not really important...

I would just make sure you have all your facts straight before you jump to conclusions and give up on a useable notebook.

Get yourself a new battery, you'll be free to work wherever you want again! Upgrade the OS, it should be doable and you'll be back in the modern mac world...

Reaction score
im sorry your having these problems, i got the answer, go ahead and get ya windows computer, and give me your old useless mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
I think more or less everything was said to this topic. You had a bad experience because you werent' informed properly.

You want to use a PII running Win2k? Well, good luck, have fun and have some nice waiting times, because it won't be anywhere near fast enough to work nicely with it.

Your battery's dead? Not really surprising for a laptop that's more than 4 years old.

And you really think you can use the latest OS, with the latest software at a decent speed with a 4 year old Windows running laptop?!?

I would say, think again...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
technologist said:
1. Apple hasn't made G3 PowerBooks since late 2000. Your system is at least four years old.

2. Any G3 system will run Jaguar (10.2.x) if it has enough memory. This includes your PowerBook.

3. Any G3 PowerBook manufactured after May 1999 will run Panther (10.3.x, the "latest and greatest" Mac OS) if it has enough memory. If the Apple "Geniuses" said your system didn't support Panther, then it must be at least five and a half years old.

Apple has moved on to OS X. Microsoft has moved on to Windows XP. If you're using six-year-old hardware, you'll have problems finding support no matter what OS you're using. There's nothing special about the Mac in this regard, unfortunately.

This just about sums it all up. For the original poster (and I don't mean this in a derogatory way), if you're still determined to switch back, I'd be happy to take the PowerBook off your hands. Of course, I'll be running OS X on it, and I'll replace the battery as most laptops its age require, but that's just me.... ;)

Oh, and don't get your hopes up about running Safari on Windows 2000 - it's still currently Mac only.

OP
A

Al_84

Macman said:
and as far as the 2 click mouse, you can control click for the same(almmost the same) menu, and the one click mouse is more than functional enough for the avid/average mac user. the one click mouse is also about class, and sophistication on a level which no brown/grey box running windows will ever reach.
Also, you can always just use a USB two-button mouse on your Mac. I'm using one on my iBook right now.

OP
B

bobx2001

well, maybe apple lied about your system abblity to run mac os x because they want you to get a new mac,i know for a fact that a g3 can run mac os x ( not sure about panther) so just get some more ram in their can start running mac os x,

and remember that the g3 powerbooks are at least 4 years old. and if you want to run mac os really well, try upgrading a bit more than your ram, http://www.fastmac.com/products/processors/pismo.php

even without the upgrades you will be able to run mac os x, just very slowly, at least give it a try before making a choice as extream ( or as stupid) as getting a pc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
ifpt999 said:
I didn't want to get into a big Mac/PC debate. I've just got a lot of frustration that Apple seems bent on accelerating OS9s demise. If they can make iTunes 4.7 for OSX and assorted Windows platforms, why can't they make it for OS9?

Actually, this is nothing new or out of the ordinary for Apple to do. Microsoft had done the same thing with Windows 95 and will be doing the same with Windows 98 in the coming months. Computer OSes eventually do reach the end of their 'life cycle' and the companies that created them cannot support or add updates to them indefintely.
And one more thing: Talking about the "class and sophistication" of a one-button mouse is really funny.
And you do know that you can use a two-button mouse with a Mac, don't you?

OP
P

pdp

this is sad. half of the horrible pc stories written here are so full of s#it it makes me want to puke. guess what, im on my pc now b/c ive sent 3 mac pm's back since they couldnt play audio correctly. my pc is rock stable and ive nver once been hijacked, spammed, wormed, bugged, tunnelled, or infected. never. those that use them examples live through wive's tales and nothing more.

its amazing how far up your own *** you people manage to get your heads. steve j could take a **** at the mwsf and you'd call it art and the best of the best.

get over the fact thta the mighty mac isnt so mighty, nor is the mighty ms. live in a reality land where the truth bites and your sugar-coated bull**** excuses dont cut it.

did i mention i had to send back my dual 2.5 because about 3 tracks in on itunes, it'd go into an uncontrollable squeel and burn your eardrums until you rebooted? did i tell you ive gone through tis problem 3 times? ok, just checking

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.