Admin Privileges - how change?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
On my iMac I have set up accounts for my wife and son (to allow them access to my iPhoto/iTunes libraries etc)). I can access their accounts by logging on as them as I know their passwords but when I try to access their user accounts while logged on as myself I am denied as not having sufficient privileges. As I'm the administrator why is this and what can I do to change it?

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Reaction score
If you are trying to access their home folders from your account, you must go into /Users/ and select their home folder. Then go to File - Get Info. At the bottom of the pane it says "Sharing and Permissions" and there is a plus sign (you may need to click on the padlock and enter your password to activate it). Click on the plus and then select your username from the new box that appears and from the drop down list next to it set the privilege as "Read and Write" from the list next to your name. (You may need to do this to the subfolders as well)

I hope that helps,

Robert

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
You will need to do this to the folders containing the other users music library as well.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks both of you. I was not clicking the padlock. Easy when you know how (or are told!!). So glad I asked the question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
So . . . you actually got what you wanted and WERE happy with what you got.

Nice thought and very symmetrical ;o)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Little tip, you'll see that padlock in a lot of screens that require you to change or edit settings like in System Preferences. Just remember to always make sure it's unlocked if you want to change settings, then remember to lock it again if someone else is going to be on your user account.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.