At a loss on where to start with Network Problem

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have DSL service through my local phone company (Centurytel). My setup is a Netopia DSL Modem feeding a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. Am supporting to Macbooks (Leopard OSX). Have been using this setup with little problem other than the occaisonal hangup which required me to shut down and restart the modem and router to clear for ~2 years.

Last night we had significant power surges and now I have no internet access and cold rebooting doesn't help. Started to do some basic troubleshooting and then things snowballed.

Two years ago when I set this network up I put the booklet with user name and password on the router in the file where I kept the DSL settings so everything would be convenient. Unfortunately I can not find that folder despite turning the house upside down looking for it. The router responds when I try to talk directly to it via ethernet, but not having the password and login ID I can't access it, and since I don't have the DSL settings (and can't read them via direct access through the router, I can't hook up straight through the modem.

I'm currently in queu trying to talk to Centurytel to see what they suggest, but I'm not sure which way to go with this.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm not a total noob, but far from an expert either.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Centurytel wasn't a lot of help

If the modem is toast can I replace it with another brand DSL? The phone company wants to lease me a replacement for $2.95 a month if this one is bad. I'm not fond of leases. Also, what about combined dsl modem/wireless routers?
Any reccomendations?

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Problem Fixed

It took me several hours of hair pulling but I have everything working again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.