MDD Won't Start

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to this forum and I have a rather major problem.
I have a Powermac G4 MDD and my friend recently gave me his mdd for parts. Wondering what I could do with it, I saw a post on xlr8yourmac.com http://xlr8yourmac.com/systems/mdd_c....html#storytop
With it i hoped to cool down my PS so and CPU to quiet down the fan noise. Well I took my friends case, which seems to be an older model case than mine, cut a hole in it, and took everything from my computer and put it into his case. Now, when i try to turn on the computer the power button's light goes on, and nothing else happens. What did I do wrong? How do I fix this without bringing a mac with a big hole in it all the way to the apple store. (it would be kind of embarrassing to explain that). Any help or input would be VERY appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lombard 400, 190cs, Wallstreet 233
Did you take the PSU from your case or did you keep the original? If it is the original, you may want to swap the PSU. It may be the PSU that he was having problems with.

OP
S
Reaction score
I am using the PSU from my case. When that one didn't I tried the PSU from the other computer, and still got nothing. I even tried switching the PRAM batteries and that didn't work either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lombard 400, 190cs, Wallstreet 233
Do you hear the HD spin up and any fans turn on?

If so, Did you make sure all the RAM, the CPU and the video card are seated properly?

OP
S
Reaction score
no they don't start up, neither do the fans. And there is no light on the motherboard. I did make sure that the video card and ram were firmly in place but i still get nothing but the light on the power switch when i attempt to turn it on

OP
S
Reaction score
I just brought it to the apple store and the "genius" was baffled. Basically he said his best guess is a broken power supply (i don't think it is because i tried a different one and that didn't work), a fried logic board, or a broken power button. Its possible that its the power button but I'm not sure because the light still goes on when I hit the button. He said it would cost thousands of dollars to diagnose the problem. Did I end up totaling my computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like it. Problem with moving power supplies on the MDD is the board sits very close to the box, and an extra dab of solder touching the metal case and the power supply shorts out.

May be worth taking the power supply apart and looking for flash burns on the rear of the box. This link shows how to do it and the flash burn:-

http://www.gkgraphics.com/home/news/2006/11_G4_MDD_PowerSupply/index.shtml

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.