Choosing between macbook or macbook pro

Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster here and apologies if this is in the wrong section of the forum.

Anyhoo i am a sound production student and am looking to develop into a career in it. At the moment im in the market to buy a macbook. And i am undecided whether to just buy a macbook or part with extra cash for the macbook pro.

I will be using it for programs such as pro tools, reason and logic with various plugins. As well as using an M-box and probably a midi keyboard. I will also use this laptop for my own personal use, internet, emails, music, photos etc. And maybe to play a couple of games to since my desktop PC is old now and is really poor at running some games that i have on anything more than low settings. I will probably also be taking it to college with me but it doesnt matter if its heavy or light to be honest as ill be on the train most of the time. Anyhoo i am just wondering whether a Macbook will be able to do all this for me perfectly or would it be worth the extra money to go for the PRO.

Again hi everyone and sorry for being a total mac newbie and if this is in the wrong bit of the forum.

Any advice, help or suggestions would be greatly appreaciated. thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
You need a macbook pro no question.

:D

OP
L
Reaction score
So its definetely worth the extra cash for what i want to do? I mean would i probably regret not paying the extra money if i bought a macbook. And do you work for apple? :p lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. Can run 4gb of ram
2. Dedicated 256 mb video card
3. larger hard drive

Those are the main differences that would sway me to buy a MBP. I just bought a new macbook last week cause I have no need for a MBP.

And no I don't work for apple. Just have a bunch of them :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In my opinion the only "compelling" reason to purchase the MBP versus a MacBook is the dedicated graphics card. If you're into games and lots of video rendering, then a MBP is worth the extra cost. If not, stick with a MacBook.

A MacBook can likewise run 4 Gb of memory, and can always be upgraded to a larger hard drive. As a matter of fact, upgrading the hard drive in a MacBook can be done easily by the user whereas it can not for the MBP.

Regards.

OP
L
Reaction score
It costs like 4-500 bucks extra which just appears to be for the GPU. IS there anything else extra of note that i would get? As in what else is that money going on.

Im not sure if i want to shell out this. But i do want a macbook or macbook pro which will last me for a couple of years beacuse they are a bit more expensive than windows PC/laptops. Just trying to decide between the two types, I am looking for a replacement to my desktop just now cause its very old. But im still undecided which is best for me to go for. Would it be worth spending the extra cash in the long term? Im not too fussed about hard drive cos its easy to buy an external which is probably what im going to use to transport some stuff on the Macs at college to my Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How about this.....

Go buy what you want.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
It costs like 4-500 bucks extra which just appears to be for the GPU. IS there anything else extra of note that i would get? As in what else is that money going on.

Im not sure if i want to shell out this. But i do want a macbook or macbook pro which will last me for a couple of years beacuse they are a bit more expensive than windows PC/laptops. Just trying to decide between the two types, I am looking for a replacement to my desktop just now cause its very old. But im still undecided which is best for me to go for. Would it be worth spending the extra cash in the long term? Im not too fussed about hard drive cos its easy to buy an external which is probably what im going to use to transport some stuff on the Macs at college to my Mac.

Hum I don't know anything about sound production but I can't imagine that it's going to be graphic intensive.

You also mentioned that you want something portable for college.

I'm a Graphic Designer and I'm perfectly happy with my MB, and I keep my MBP at home as my desktop replacement.

You are right about the HDD. You can pretty much purchase these thing from a 3rd party retailer instead of paying apples ridiculous 400% mark ups for memory >_>".

In any case I would go with the MB and just deck it out yourself. First two things I bought was 4GB low latency ram RAM and a 320 GB HDD 7200 RPM. Together it cost me less than 300 bucks with shipping.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.