Bootcamp problem, 2 partitions already, oh crap!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,2GHz, 18GB RAM, Geforce 8800GT
Couple of weeks ago I switched to iMac. Now I would like to install Bootcamp to game a littlebit, but I came across with annoying problem...

I already went and created a second partition (Storage HD) for all my media and storage, but now I learned that installing Bootcamp won´t work, if the Macintosh HD isn´t a one big single partition HD. Why couldn´t anyone told me this before?! Why Steve whyyyyyyyy!!! :Angry-Tongue:

Well, I gotta find a solution now for this problem. I definetely wouldn´t like to install and set everything all over again!

Can I still install Bootcamp Windows easily to a third partition or is this simply impossible?

Or can I put my two partitions back together as one without any risks? (I´ve already filled up quite a bit of my Storage HD).

I hope someone would have some more knowledge of this annoying "little obstacle" in my quest for Bootcamp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
JtmSun,

Read the Boot Camp Installation and Setup Guide carefully (Applications>Utilities>Boot camp Assistant.app) Open the Assistant and the cover page has a button to pdf the Guide - from what I read, you may be able to use Boot camp to set up a separate partition for Windows, maybe even if there is already another partition. In your case, I'd try it and if it says, "No," then you need to move your second partition off your machine or back it up and replace it later.

Noel

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I´ve tried the Bootcamp assistant, it just says "The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition."

How can I make the two partitions back together as one? Is there any risks? I don´t want any data get corrupted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Assuming you are using Leopard, then you can use Disk Utility to non-destructively merge two partitions back into one. You can't do that with Tiger's Disk Utility. Alternatively, there's a 3rd-party utility called iPartition that can do the job.

In any event, you should have a backup of everything just to be safe. If something goes wrong during the merging process (say... power failure?), then you risk losing all your data.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Assuming you are using Leopard, then you can use Disk Utility to non-destructively merge two partitions back into one. You can't do that with Tiger's Disk Utility. Alternatively, there's a 3rd-party utility called iPartition that can do the job.

Yes, I´m using Leopard (10.5.4). Do I need to format the second partition first before I can merge the two partitions back into one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Yes, I´m using Leopard (10.5.4). Do I need to format the second partition first before I can merge the two partitions back into one?

Not that I recall. If you have to, then it won't let you until you do anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.