OS9 won´t boot

Reaction score
Hi, I recently upgraded my precious G3 Powerbook (Pismo) with a new HD (80Gb) and 1Gb of RAM. I did it myself (with the help of ifixit.com) and all went well. Reinstalling the OS was okay too. Then I got reckless, and tried to install a friend´s OSX (for G4 iMac, grey disks). Despite the impossibility of this, and having forgotten the firmware update, I actually suceeded, and all was well with the world. That is until I tried to restart in OS9 using Classic. Since then (a week ago) it has remained frozen at that irritating smiley computer icon (the small one). I´ve tried to reboot using the SOFTWARE RESTORE disk but no luck. I´ve tried various keystroke combinations and none of them have worked either. I´m living 100mls from any other Apple users, do not have an internet connection at home, no car, or income to go out and forget this nightmare and go buy a new one. Surely there is someone out there in the ether who has had this happen to them and knows how I can get the SOFTWARE RESTORE disk going again so I can have my life back again? Meanwhile I´m going to lie down in a darkened room, there doesn´t seem to be any point doing anything else without my beloved G3.
Phil

Reaction score
Meanwhile I´m going to lie down in a darkened room, there doesn´t seem to be any point doing anything else without my beloved G3.
Given the chance that you will have died in that darkened room before you read this, O:) can you list the key commands you have tried? Hold down the Option key and choose System 9 or OS X, hold down the Shift to key to boot with Extensions off (System 9) or Safe mode (OS X). You may have built a boat in the basement, I don't know how you can fix a hosed system without the real live, legit system install disks. You are going to need them at some point!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You reinstalled OS 9 okay, so you must have Classic OS 9 discs, boot up from the install disc, format HD and do a clean install of that and forget about OS X until you can get full retail install discs as the iMac discs are not for your precious Pismo.

OP
M
Reaction score
for those who also cannot get any disk to boot, Dianne the moderator at macfixit.com came up with the solution. Press the OPTION key on start-up and it will search for all media that can effect Start-up. From there I used the SOFTWARE INSTALL disk (not the SOFTWARE RESTORE one) and initialised the HD. Praise be.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.