Ram upgrade questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2 GHz Core Duo 1 GB Ram
I've got an older Macbook (2Ghz Duo Core with 1GB of memory). I bought a new 2gb stick but the computer doesn't seem to pick it up when I install. The screen stays black when I power it on. I left one of the original 512mb sticks in. Should I take leave only the 2gb stick in and take the other out? Is there a way to know when the stick is properly in (ie. a click or anything)? Thanks for any help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The Core Duo Macbooks only supported a max of 2GB of RAM, and only take 1GB in each slot.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2 GHz Core Duo 1 GB Ram
Thanks for the info. I'll return the ram and get the proper ones. Thank you again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
The Core Duo Macbooks only supported a max of 2GB of RAM, and only take 1GB in each slot.

Not necessarily.

macbook3gig.jpg

I used a 4 gig upgrade kit to make one Macbook with 2 gig, and another with one into two Macbooks with three each. Sure, I lose the 'dual channel' speed advantage because I have one 1 gig stick in one bank and one 2 gig in the other, but the word is that 3 gig better than 2 gig with dual channel. So far it has been working quite nicely.

Edit: sure it's a Core Duo? If that's the case, then yes Core Duo only does 2 gig. Core2duo does 3.

Reaction score
I have a macbook black with 1gb of RAM. Would it be worthwhile to upgrade to 2gb or even 4gb of RAM? (It's core 2 duo I'm sure.) Where is the best place to buy it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.