EIDE hard drive in my G4

S

Shakermaker

I bought a 200GB EIDE hard drive (because I didn't realize it was an EIDE drive at the time I purchased it!) and installed it in my machine with no problems. However while my Mac does see it and allow me to use it, it only shows up as a 120GB hard drive. Is there any way I can get around this and force my Mac to use all 200GB or is it a limitation of the IDE controller inside my G4?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Have you tried looking at it with disk utility. If you can see it, you may need to create two partitions.

OP
L

Lasha

Hey, I have a question, what's EIDE? I know it stands for Enhanced IDE, but is it any different than regular IDE? And do they compare to SCSI drives? Why does it only show 120 when it's 200GB? Any specific reason? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Lasha said:
Hey, I have a question, what's EIDE? I know it stands for Enhanced IDE, but is it any different than regular IDE? And do they compare to SCSI drives? Why does it only show 120 when it's 200GB? Any specific reason? Thanks.

EIDE is the actual IDE norm, which is totally compatible with IDE, and has nothing to do with SCSI.
The 120GB limit was the limit older IDE-controllers had. I knew the G3s had that limit, but for a G4, this is new to me.

Anyway, you can easily solve it by buying a PCI IDE controller, and connect your new drive to it.

Reaction score
The only G4's that don't have that limit are the Quicksilver and Mirrored door models. All other ones need a new IDE controller.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.