• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

diversity? Affirmative action. Sounds like racism to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
on the bottom of apples jobs web site. Not just apple, many companies.

We are committed to diversity. Apple is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer

Here is the wikepedia definition of Affirmative Action:

Motivation for affirmative action is a desire to redress effects of actual or perceived, past or current discrimination that is regarded as unfair.

So, because something wrong was done to people in the past (Slavery). And because people were hurt, and/or discriminated against, we are now making and/or following a policy to hurt more people?

That is how I read it. Makes no sense.

Where I live here, the Federal, state and local government are BIG promoters of Affirmative action. Do they force companies like Apple to follow it too?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MBP: 2.26 C2D, 4GB, 160GB
Well yes, in most cases, affirmative action has become reverse racism.

check out the supreme court cases about law school and college applicants....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well over here it's gone a little too far.

Once I saw a job stating they were an equal opportunities, and Affirmative Action Employer. And that they encouraged students, aboriginals, women, mature workers new Australians, and juniors (16-18) to apply for the job.

Call me strange but as youngish (in my 20's) white male Australian who was born here it seems I'm the only one who isn't encouraged to apply for the job. From one extreme to the other I think.

Reaction score
If I were a member of a minority I would be offended if I were offered a "special deal." It is like saying I am not smart/talented enough on my own and I need the government to give me an extra break. Besides: if your doctor only got into and out of, medical school for this reason would you really want them operating on your brain?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Well over here it's gone a little too far.

Once I say a job stating they were an equal opportunities, and Affirmative Action Employer. And that they encouraged students, aboriginals, women, mature workers new Australians, and juniors (16-18) to apply for the job.

Call me strange but as youngish (in my 20's) white male Australian who was born here it seems I'm the only one who isn't encouraged to apply for the job. From one extreme to the other I think.

I find the same thing here in the U.S. women and minorities are always encouraged to apply.If your a women or a minority you get the job first regardless of who most qualified.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I find the same thing here in the U.S. women and minorities are always encouraged to apply.If your a women or a minority you get the job first regardless of who most qualified.
I would say in my experience that's a much too broad a brush to be true. That being said, if affirmative action worked, and leveled the playing field creating a culture where the most qualified person got the job.. then it should be gotten rid of, it's served its purpose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
All companies say the are an equal opportunities employer

In many cases, its all just weasel words, in fact they want to employ the most gullible and work them until their life force runs out

I work for myself by the way

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
I don't think that's exactly how Affirmative Action works....I think the way it works (or, the way it's SUPPOSED to work) is if you have two people -- one white, one "minority" -- who are 100% equally qualified for the job but you have just one spot to fill, you'll hire the minority.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
I don't think that's exactly how Affirmative Action works....I think the way it works (or, the way it's SUPPOSED to work) is if you have two people -- one white, one "minority" -- who are 100% equally qualified for the job but you have just one spot to fill, you'll hire the minority.

Basically true but not quite. Same scenario, both equally qualified. You have the right to hire the minority based on the fact that he/she is a minority. But you don't have too.

Listen, where I live (Cincinnati), the town is basically still segregated. You can say whatever you want about affirmative action and reverse racism, but minorities don't get the same opportunities as whites. Although, it may be better to fix affirmative action to socioeconomic factors.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.