Water/Beer Damage - won't switch on... is replacement keyboard good enough fix?

Reaction score
Hi,

I accidentally spilled beer on the top right hand side of the keyboard. At first I thought it won't matter too much (like on a G3 Powerbook, where the keyboard is completely sealed underneath).

I let it dry out upside down. Macbook booted OK. Sticky keys. Next time it didn't switch on. 1h later it worked ok, but I noticed the login-screen looked a bit hazy/low contrast & low resolution for a second. Literally only for a second, then it went back to normal.
Next day, the macbook didin't boot up anymore. Dead, not even a "ping" tone. Looks like there is no electricity coming in. When I attach the power supply, it stays on green light (though it wasn't fully charged last time I turned it off).

So I disassembled it & looked inside. From what I can tell: no damage on the motherboard (visually that is). I gave the keyboard & power button a good rinse with Isoprop alcohol from both sides. But it's still dead.

Question now: I saw replacement keyboard units on ebay for not too much money. But I also heard that on G3 laptops, there was some sort of fuse outside the keyboard unit, and that this fuse might be blown.

Is this true / Has the Macbook got the same kind of fuse outside the keyboard unit? If so: Where is it located??

Thanks a lot for your help with this!
Beliblis

Reaction score
Same problem, possibly worse

I have the exact same problem only with orange juice and there is not even a green light on the power supply when I plug it in. I was about to take it apart when I read your post. I hope there is an easy solution. I just noticed quite a few hits when I googled "macbook no power after spill" so i guess i'll go read those.
Thanks for any assistance.

Reaction score
Is there a fuse in the macbook?

Water hit this macbook on a camping trip and soaked it while it was in sleep mode and charging. Only 7 months old!

Now after waiting 4 days of drying in <30% Colorado humidity we tried to start it up and the only thing that would light is the apple symbol in the cover even when plugged into the AC power supply.

The only power it appears to be using is from the battery because when the batt is removed and AC is plugged in, nothing lights, nada.

Can a macbook even start without a battery and just rely on AC to power up? Or does it need the batt to complete the circuit?

Problem is that the power supply light doesn't even glow orange or green when connected. Is there a fuse in the cord power box (the white 3"x3" box) inline to the magnetic connector? or another fuse that may have saved this unit from a nasty death? ANY help is appreciated.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Water hit this macbook on a camping trip and soaked it while it was in sleep mode and charging. Only 7 months old!

Now after waiting 4 days of drying in <30% Colorado humidity we tried to start it up and the only thing that would light is the apple symbol in the cover even when plugged into the AC power supply.

The only power it appears to be using is from the battery because when the batt is removed and AC is plugged in, nothing lights, nada.

Can a macbook even start without a battery and just rely on AC to power up? Or does it need the batt to complete the circuit?

Problem is that the power supply light doesn't even glow orange or green when connected. Is there a fuse in the cord power box (the white 3"x3" box) inline to the magnetic connector? or another fuse that may have saved this unit from a nasty death? ANY help is appreciated.

You don't need batteries for the MB to work. You can just have it plugged in, but if for some reason the AC is removed, instant shut down.

Reaction score
Is there a fuse in the power supply or macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Take the machine into Apple and see if it is worth spending money on. Water/beer/orange juice etc on logic boards in often fatal.

Reaction score
It sounds as if you shorted a wire, maybe to the power supply? I'm not a Macbook repair guy, so don't quote me on that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

No fuse. As harryb hinted, the logic board probably shorted out. Or at the least, the power supply input shorted out. Either way, you're looking at an expensive repair. Sorry, but it may not be economical to repair unless you can do the work yourself.

Regards.

Reaction score
Guess I better dust off that homeowners insurance

No fuse, unreal. I would have expected more from Apple. By 2009 you would expect something like liquids to easily fry a laptop to be difficult thing to do. Maybe it's time for that patent to be rolled out huh? God this is gonna hurt the wallet. Thanks for your help gang.

Reaction score
I'm fixing up a Macbook that someone spilled beer on. Upon realizing what had happened, he immediately turned it off and turned it upside-down to dry. I opened it up and cleaned some corrosion off the board. The power button doesn't always work right away, but the computer can power on (unfortunately the keyboard and touchpad are dead). My guess is that the beer only damaged the keyboard and touchpad, so I'm going to try replacing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
all apple laptops are prone to water damage once it has happened there is not much you can do. you either must be very careful and protective, not have liquids around your system, or become very rich and not care.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.