internet explorer 5.5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
why on earth would you want to?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I agree. I'd not bother with IE at all on OS X.

And to directly answer your question. I think they discontinued IE for OS X around that 5.5 version. So you're out of luck there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
Why would you ever want IE on your Mac when it comes with a perfectly capable (and in my opinion, the best) browser!?

Reaction score
i also need to use it, but would rather not have to use boot camp or parrallels to use it.

i need it for work, some companies web based business systems are only compatible w/ IE. Shamefull yes, but this is the problem that Mac has.

I don't have a windows CD, so shelling out $$$ for that dumb OS kinda stinks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
as soon as I learned M$ stopped updating it, to the trash it went.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
not sure it ever made it to 5.5. pretty sure it did not.

Reaction score
There's three ways, that I know of.

I know these work on OS X 10.5. You'll have to check for compatibility with 10.4

The most reliable, but most expensive: A Windows virtual machine using Parallels or VMWare Fusion. $80 plust the cost of a Windows license.

Much cheaper and mostly reliable: $40 Crossover, with IE 6. They say you won't get full operability this way. I used it for the last week and it seems OK. I can get Active-X controls, and even an embedded Citrix client.

Free, but not recommended: IES4OSX From their own website: "known issues: Internet Explorer uses up to 100% CPU", and sure enough that's exactly what I saw. Sheesh. Oh well, maybe next version.

Edit: Oh, and bootcamp which is free but you still need a Windows license.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.