• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPod Flash (or is it Flash iPod)?

N

Nightblade

I can't believe there's not already a topic about this. But yeah, that's likely to be the next product from Apple (after the half-a-grand computer, obviously). I mean, that's what everyone seems to be talking about nowadays when they mention upcoming Apple products. I'm not quite sure what they mean by the iPod Flash, but from what I've heard around the net, it'll be $99 (US). So, why so cheap? Well, apparently, it won't have a screen. ...Yeah, I'm not sure how it'll work either. But apparently, it's "Flash-based" (and I doubt it has anything to do with the Macromedia program/plugin with the same name).

So, what do people here know about it exactly?

OP
A

Arleban

Flash players do not have a hard drive. Therefore it usually has a much smaller size limit. Those small usb keychain drives? Those are an example of a flash drive. I think the max size on those now are maybe 1.5 GB. I know I have seen a 1 GB for sale. It's more of a RAM drive.

OP
Z

zeppster

Arleban said:
Flash players do not have a hard drive. Therefore it usually has a much smaller size limit. Those small usb keychain drives? Those are an example of a flash drive. I think the max size on those now are maybe 1.5 GB. I know I have seen a 1 GB for sale. It's more of a RAM drive.

Yeah but it still doesn't seem like something that Apple would make.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
they are trying to get there products in ever segment

OP
Z

zeppster

The $500 computer is understandable. But a flash ipod isn't. The Apple theory is "Make it small with huge capacity". A flash player just doesn't fit.

OP
A

Arleban

Sorry Zeppster, I wasn't commenting on whether Apple would make it or not. I thought Nightblade was asking about how it worked.

OP
N

Nightblade

Actually, yeah, I did want to know about how it worked. But now I know :)

And yeah, I also wanted to find out more about it in general, and what everyone here knew and thought about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I doubt this 'flash ipod' is a real product, everything Ive heard and read about it has been that it is purely a rumor.

OP
?

)(*

Ive seen flash drives that can hold around 80GB. But they cost around $10,000. Its called PuRam.

A flash drive is memory. Its a chip, but the only thing good about a flash drive is the incredibly fast access times.

A Hard Drive involves a hard disk. A large metal disk that spins and holds information.

Hard drives are cheaper and hold more. Flash drives cost more and hold less.

If this new Flash iPod were to happen for $99, the biggest drive it would have would be 128MB.

:batman:

Reaction score
the way i look at it is that the iPod is pretty expensive, and not every one has more than one gig of music, so this is to get the average joe into the Apple circle and when he like the shuffle, he is going to get more Mp3's and that means that he is going to get an iPod, and from there maby a PowerBook. that is just the way i see it.

OP
V

vuschejan

stillimation said:
the way i look at it is that the iPod is pretty expensive, and not every one has more than one gig of music, so this is to get the average joe into the Apple circle and when he like the shuffle, he is going to get more Mp3's and that means that he is going to get an iPod, and from there maby a PowerBook. that is just the way i see it.

4.5 gigs and counting, Woo!

OP
M

mangoSharingan

I just tried fitting an old collection of songs I have collected over the past few years and man, I ran out of space so easily on my Minidisc player! Each disc can only hold about 180MB so I'm definitely looking forward to getting my 1GB iPod Shuffle! Plus, I had to waste FOUR HOURS getting my Sony SonicStage to work again on my Windows XP PC. Apparantly, it was some Windows XP Hotfix which was causing SonicStage to crash all the time. I'm so looking forward to abandoning Windows completely and be able to transfer music easily between my iBook and my future iPod Shuffle!

OP
P

proudlywelsh83

Just thought i'd comment on my opinion of a Flash memory MP3 player in apples case the newly launched shuffle.

Well personally having already fitted an MP3 player in the car the thought of paying £179 for an IPOD for occasional use is beyond my budget.

But the use of a Flash type mp3 player is ideal, as well as listening to a number of my favourite albums I can also carry small amounts of data wherever I go ideal for coach journeys or the occassional train journey without really breaking the bank.

Just placed my order with apple.

Cheers

Richard

Reaction score
:UPDATE:
ok if you watch the Keynote
Steve says why apple put it out is because the are dominating the HD Mp3 playes and know they want to dominate the Flash Mp3 players

OP
A

adidadi

Flash is not "stupid", but a hard disc that freezes after 25 minutes of jogging is stupid. I returned 2 iPods after they malfunctioned while jogging. Apple admitted" No good for jogging".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.