More Problems with Time Machine (Preparing)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.6, 1TB Storage
I know I'm not the first, but wondering if anybody knows why or what the solution is.

I'm using time machine and for a while now its been fine but..

The Problem I'm having now is I came to my computer this morning and it was "preparing to back up". Came back from a 10 hour day of work and its preparing. Can't get it to quit, hold the power button to force it to restart and now its doing the thing where on start up it refuses to go past a certain light blue screen unless I unplug the external drive where my Time Machine is.

This happened on my last Mac too. Anyone know why it does this or how to resolve the problem?

Bonus: I can prepare forever!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20, Intel Dual Core 2.3GHz, 1Gb RAM, 256Mb Video; G4 tower 444Mhz w/ 1G RAM, 2x G3 towers
i'm getting the same thing. for the last 2 weeks, I've been 'preparing' but it never does anything... i'm going to try a remote reset for the TC and see if that helps any. i've also been torrenting for a while, but i don't see how that would change it all of a sudden.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20, Intel Dual Core 2.3GHz, 1Gb RAM, 256Mb Video; G4 tower 444Mhz w/ 1G RAM, 2x G3 towers
well, that didn't work... still preparing. i've told it to stop. i've turned TM off... nothing makes it stop or do the actual backup...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mac Book 2.4GHZ, 2GB
I had this problem once and it was because Time Machine/Time Capsule needed to reindex.

From the Console you can have a look at what Time Machine is doing and if you find something like "deep traversal" it means that it needs to reindex and this can take a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so just leave it to keep preparing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mac Book 2.4GHZ, 2GB
That's what I did and it worked. Just make sure that you have the "deep traversal" thing which means that it's reindexing

Otherwise it might be another issue

In my case I had the issue following the interruption of a backup process before completion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok... not cool... no deep traversal....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and then i get an error that the time capsule is read only and i'll have to pick another drive... now it's back to preparing....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.