• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Hahah Read This!! Really, Read It.

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
True...let me check the call ID. Yes, it's the police...I called the number too haha. Yeah I'm going to get a police report for it. I think I'm going to buy a powerbook from one of the sellers I TRUST on ebay because I've bought about 12 laptops from them before and they have 2 great deals going on with them now. If you read my previous story about me moving back up north and stuff, I'd like to owe my dad as little money as possible for this before moving back up north.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
For the record...there are quite a few people who've made very, very bad or inaccurate legal assumptions in this thread.

#1. Giving something as a gift transfers legal ownership. It was not the boyfriends, it was hers.
#2. While it is the pawnshop's responsibility to check for stolen merchandise, you also are liable once you become aware the merchandise is stolen (and sometimes even before that depending on the circumstances and state law).
#3. Just because you bought it on eBay doesn't clear you of fault once you know you have stolen merchandise.
#4. Just because her story may "sound fishy" is no excuse for avoiding legal advice in situations like this.
$5 Returning it to the pawnshop would have been about the worst move you could have done. You ALWAYS turn stolen merchandise into the police, don't return it to where you got it.

There's so much more, but really, given what was going on in this thread, the very bad advice being given by some peple, and the decisions that were being made, it could have turned out so much worse for you.

Moral of the story, this is not a law site. Always consult a lawyer for legal advice, not a Mac forum. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
Man, I thought I had bad luck :(

Maybe the 3rd time will be the charm on ebay...

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
True...let me check the call ID. Yes, it's the police...I called the number too haha. Yeah I'm going to get a police report for it. I think I'm going to buy a powerbook from one of the sellers I TRUST on ebay because I've bought about 12 laptops from them before and they have 2 great deals going on with them now. If you read my previous story about me moving back up north and stuff, I'd like to owe my dad as little money as possible for this before moving back up north.

Wow you seem to have like no luck with computers. >_<" I feel bad for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
I empathize with you, eBay can be quite a mess sometimes. If I had an extra macbook, I'd give it to you. Thanks for the interesting read though :) Good luck.

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
I love how this cop from Virginia Beach said he'd call me back and he hasn't yet. hahaha My dad goes "Yeah return it when you get your money refunded, otherwise tell them to go <expletive> themselves." hahaha gotta love my dad.

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You guys seem to care more than the cops do. It's been a day and I still haven't heard back from them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
You guys seem to care more than the cops do. It's been a day and I still haven't heard back from them.

Probably a fire at Tim Hortons.

They have priorities, ya know.

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Probably a fire at Tim Hortons.

They have priorities, ya know.

LOL!!!!
That's why my dad said what he said before. He's lived in Virginia and he knows how awful the cops are.

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And on top of my last post here...It's really really weird the cops (Both in my county and in Virginia.) just didn't call me period today. I checked the call ID and everything. I suppose I'm getting my hopes up that I can keep this huh...And I shouldn't. On top of that, the pawn shop I bought this off of ebay from hasn't contacted paypal yet either....Something's up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yes very fishy. It's a scam we know this. And they haven't contacted paypal etc because all of those emails, conversations are recorded. And can be used in evidence. And they don't want themselves on the record as yet.

I agree with all of the advice above. But one question. Say you return it to the police. Good idea. But then how do you get your money back? The police could easily say the company in not in a state to give you the funds or the exact person who did this can't be tracked down. Or make up some story so you don't get your money back.

I know laywers are expensive. But I agree a little legal advice before you hand in the computer is the best bet. And they'll let you know how you can return it and get your money back.

Just when you hand in to the police make sure of three things:

1. That you get written proof from the police with a police officers signature stating you have handed it into them. It's the proof you need if something goes wrong.

2. Take photos of the mac + the serial number on the case + any software/cables/peripherals that came with it. And from all angles too. That'll prove should things get any worse of the condition you got the mac in. Cause it could be damaged after you hand it in but the pawn shop and associated people could blame that damage on you. But your photos will be the proof you need.

3. That you round up all the documents you have the prove you purchased the mac and what the price was too. So there's proof you own it now and how much they charged you for it with postage.

Have you contacted paypal if this is how you paid for this computer? I think that's a good idea. Cause paypal can suspend their paypal account. And without that (well in Aus anyways) means they can't trade on ebay. And that'll learn them.

And you've stated before in this topic that you want to next time try a trusted (to you) ebay seller or apple refurbished. And I think that's a wise move indeed.

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UGH...
They're picking it up in a few hours. I'm getting documentation from the police dept. that they're taking it because it's stolen and I'm going to take pictures of it tomorrow before they pick it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz C2D MBP & 16GB White 3G iPhone
UGH...
They're picking it up in a few hours. I'm getting documentation from the police dept. that they're taking it because it's stolen and I'm going to take pictures of it tomorrow before they pick it up.

I would def get documentation from the police, give them copies of the paypal/ebay transactions & emails, serial #s, etc and make sure there is all the relevant notes in the report that they give you. It should be very detailed, not just "xj6jaguar1985 gave us a mac laptop that he bought on ebay that was reported as stolen".

I agree with the mod that there has been some sound advice and some poor advice. The bottom line is that the laptop was stolen and that you did the right thing when most people likely wouldn't have. You should be proud of yourself for that. And you covered your own behind on this since you are still liable even though you bought it from someone (I guess I paid attention in my law course, wow!).

The unfortunate thing is that you are out of both a laptop and your money, which in all likelihood will take a while to get refunded to you. And unfortunately, the old saying "if it sounds too good to be true" is correct more often than not.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
i know this is quite old but im interested in what happened legally now, lol got me hooked then stopped posting :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.