Has anyone tried out Google Chrome yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
I love the new browser. Definitely faster than FF, multi-process browser (If one of your tabs crashes, the rest works). But it is more of a memory hog and I think it still needs a few more releases to catch up to FF's extensions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook / Mac Mini
It's really fast, lacks RSS support, but has pr0n modus.

...and it made my VMware hit 100% CPU after 15-20 minutes use...

I'm looking forward to a version with proper RSS support, preferably with a good Google Reader integration.

...and of course, a Mac version.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's really fast, lacks RSS support, but has pr0n modus.

...and it made my VMware hit 100% CPU after 15-20 minutes use...

I'm looking forward to a version with proper RSS support, preferably with a good Google Reader integration.

...and of course, a Mac version.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it WebKit based? And if so, wouldn't it just be Safari with a different face?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook / Mac Mini
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it WebKit based? And if so, wouldn't it just be Safari with a different face?
Yes it is, so it should render pages just like Safari.

The difference is in the multi-process stuff that makes it faster and more robust towards bad javascripts, non-responsive webservers and similar.

And if I understand it right, it's something Google will but back into the WebKit project, making it possible for Apple to make Safari just as fast and robust.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I must admit, I'm pretty impressed. I'm always torn between Safari and Camino. Camino seemed a bit more trimmed down and snappy for a while, but I've used Safari fairly consistently for the past year or so.

But the occasional slowdowns and beachballs are still annoying, so Chrome does seem appealing as Google seems to have paid a lot of attention to making it work reliably, even on "difficult" sites.

*Spam-warning!*:

If you want a full rundown, read my post on ma blog:
http://www.jetplanejournal.com/2008/09/google-chrome-first-impressions/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Google Chrome Web Browser

I don't know if any of you are aware of this, but Google has just released it's first web browser to heat up it's rivalry with Microsoft. The web browser is not our for Mac yet, but it's called Google Chrome. There is a development team working on the Mac version right now. The browser is only available in it's Beta state for Windows. But you can visit the information page at: http://www.google.com/chrome/index...._source=en-hpp&utm_medium=hpp&utm_campaign=en. Tell me your opinions on the browser.

Reaction score
Very good browser. I'd say it beats firefox in terms of speed and safari in terms of user interface and features, but I'm not sure about speed. I completely hate IE and would not get IE8 (especially if it has a cost?). I think their biggest competition is against firefox and safari (for mac users). In my experience no one uses IE any longer. The only thing I like about it is the colour coded tabs, which is a not-so-important feature. I will download google chrome as a secondary browser for my mac when its mac version comes out, but I'm not sure whether or not it will replace firefox or safari. I do like the mac-ie-ness of safari, but I think its falling behind other browsers in terms of features (especially page restoration. I personally like Opera's page restoration interface best, though it lacks speed in comparison to safari. I think that the most important things about chrome are the non-thread system and the cloud browser thing. Here's a nice article about it, which also has a link to a nice comic about chrome that google made: http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/09/google_chrome_b.html - as well as a nice article about what many --not me though :)-- think is Google chrome's biggest competition, IE8: http://www.pcworld.com/article/150385/ie8b2.html

My 2 cents (hey, don't we have a 2 cents emote?)
looking forward ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the articles. Found them pretty interesting. In my opinion GC (Google Chrome) had sat back, watched other browsers, then crunched all the features into one super browser.

jah

Reaction score
there are common functionality that a OS provides and browsers tend to use this like cache functions

so is it a correct comparison to load a page in chrome and than again in fire fox? the page may already be available in memory after the first loading??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Google's Chrome Browser

So has anyone tried the Webkit based Chrome, from Google? It's only available for Windows currently, although an OS X and Linux version are on their way. I played with it for a while last night in Parallels, and it seems to work nicely, but I am not sure what advantage it gives over Firefox or Safari and looks remarkably like IE8 beta!

On windows, it is seriously fast! Quite a bit faster than Firefox, although not quite as fast as the latest Webkit builds for Safari.

Any thoguhts?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Note: Merged duplicate threads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
Using it on my work Windoze PC right now, pretty amazing. I'll see if it can load our Oracle apps then we'll see if it can pass muster or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Anyone tried Google's Browser yet?

dupe thread, too many people talking about it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Don't have a windows machine to try it on, and i"m not enthused enough to bring up a VM to surf the web with. My wife saw it in her MIS class yesterday though and said it looked pretty cool and was definitely fast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Meh. I just downloaded it. It's fast bit it's not tripping my trigger yet. I don't like the lack of a task bar at the top of the Window and it doesn't seem to want to import all of my Bookmarks either from IE6 or FF2. It's also failing to adhere to my Windows theme and the default theme leaves something to be desired.

Reaction score
Meh. I just downloaded it. It's fast bit it's not tripping my trigger yet. I don't like the lack of a task bar at the top of the Window and it doesn't seem to want to import all of my Bookmarks either from IE6 or FF2. It's also failing to adhere to my Windows theme and the default theme leaves something to be desired.

Apparently they have some bugs to work out yet, (good news/bad news). These are a few headlines I culled from ZDNET Tech newsletter:

"Google Chrome vulnerable to carpet-bombing flaw

Ryan Naraine: Google's shiny new Web browser, built on an outdated version of Safari, is vulnerable to a carpet-bombing vulnerability that could expose Windows users to malicious hacker attacks.
READ FULL STORY

Adam O'Donnell: Chrome is (potentially very) secure
Gallery Tour: First look at Google Chrome
Google Chrome is insanely fast - faster than Firefox 3.0
Paula Rooney: Could Chrome doom Firefox?"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini, 20" Cinema, wireless keyboard and mouse.
What about addons like Adblock. They're not gonna remove there own google ads lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
No adblock I'm not using it, back to FF.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wish that they would come out with the Mac version already. But I know that when it comes out they're going to say it lacks the features that Windows does, it can't do this, it can't do that, but Windows can.

I like it, but when the Mac version comes out I know it won't be that good. I can imagine.

But hopefully I'm completely wrong, and GC will rock, and crush all the other browsers. Let's just wait and see.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.