what the **** might be the reason for netscape to ignore ... -

S

sindbad

... to ignore completely a pop menu created with dreamweaver ?
instead, it dispplays the list items as pure text.
is there a possibility for netscape to display correctly the navigation between the pages of the web site other than with frames or ugly text links but somehow in the pop menu technique ?
ok, sometimes the nearest things seem to be invisible, so any help is appreciated.

cheers
sindbad

OP
S

sindbad

addendum ...

sorry, i must say the netscape version is communicator 4.7.8 (i know, not the most recent version, but, hey, there will be much older versions out there, hehe)

cheers
sindbad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
If I remember correctly, most all old version of Netscape handle DHTML.. very very very poorly or not at all

OP
S

sindbad

attempting to ponder the importance

Murlyn said:
... most all old version of Netscape handle DHTML.. very very very poorly or not at all

yeah, that´s my impression too.
so, how much do i have to worry about this issue with regard to

- the percentage of netscape users at all

- the estimated percentage of (old) netscape versions still in use but unable to allow my web site visitors to navigate between the site´s pages

with other words: can a reasonable web site live without caring about netscape ?

many questions at a time, as i frankly have to admit, but i´m still a bit scared by the discovery of this fact.

cheers
sindbad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
sindbad said:
yeah, that´s my impression too.
so, how much do i have to worry about this issue with regard to

Ok I am going to base everything I say on a site that I administer that has had 1.5 million hits, 53,000 pages, 43,500 visits, and 37,500 unique visits so far this month.

sindbad said:
- the percentage of netscape users at all

0.1% or 2355 hits out of 1473604

sindbad said:
- the estimated percentage of (old) netscape versions still in use but unable to allow my web site visitors to navigate between the site´s pages

256 of the 2355 Netscape hits were with the Netscape browser version 4.78 and less.

sindbad said:
with other words: can a reasonable web site live without caring about netscape ?

Absolutely! The statistics I put up there are "hits" which means if a netscape user came to a page that had 20 images on it, just for loading that page they would get 1 hit for the page and 20 hits for each image, so 21 hits total.. hits really do not mean much. Let's do it proportionally .. ok so if we were going to do it by unique visitors this site received 37,500 unique visitors so far this month which translates into 60 of those users.. were Netscape users..

If your business/site can afford to lose 60 out of the 37,500 unique visitors then you do no need to worry about Netscape users, otherwise.. you better change your drop down menu.

Cheers!

OP
S

sindbad

what a speedy, detailed reply - thanx !

thanx for your precise answer, Murlyn !
i doubted in this direction. meanwhile i d/l´ed navigator 7.0 and ... the pop menu showed up perfectly.
so, the prob may be considered resolved the first time i visited this board.
many thanx again.

cheers
sindbad

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.