Swapping combo drive from G4 to G3

Reaction score
I have a G4 iBook with slot loading combo drive that I want to install in my G3 iBook (800) which has a tray loading combo. I have read a lot on this on many forums, and basically there are two issues....the bezel required to cover up the excess space on the G3 below the slot, and the question of how to make it a slave drive instead of a master, if there is no switch on it (it is a Matshita CW 8124). There was also one reference about the logic boards being different, but only that one reference, no other info. (I plan to get a Superdrive for the G4) Has any body done this or have access to the answers to my concerns? Any help would be appreciated, my budget is rather slim, so I am planning to do the labor myself...I've seen the instructions on ifixit, and I have overhauled Carter carburetors, so I feel confident. Thanks.

OP
R
Reaction score
slotloading combo drive G4 to G3

Anyone? There must be somebody who knows whether it can actually be done, and knows how to do it....please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Just give it a go

If there is no jumper on the DVD drive, try setting the hard disk as slave

Reaction score
Let me know how the swap went. I tried with a 500mhz and it didn't work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.