Error when installin on mac OS X

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I tried to install wine on mac OS X but got below error. Please tell me how to resolve it and get wine installed.

1) I installed MacPorts-1.6.0-10.5-Leopard. That was installed successfully.
2) Then in terminal i ran below command.
sudo port install wine
3) Then i got below error.

---> Configuring expat
Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure: shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_textproc_expat/work/expat-2.0.1" && ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --mandir=/opt/local/share/man " returned error 77
Command output: checking build system type... i386-apple-darwin9.2.1
checking host system type... i386-apple-darwin9.2.1
checking for gcc... /usr/bin/gcc-4.0
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

Please help me :(

Error: The following dependencies failed to build: expat fontconfig freetype zlib libiconv gperf fontforge gettext ncurses ncursesw giflib jpeg libpng libxml2 autoconf help2man p5-locale-gettext perl5.8 m4 libtool automake tiff libxslt openssl pkgconfig render xrender
Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What do you need WINE for? Even if you get WINE installed correctly it can be troublesome. If you need to run certain Windows programs the best solution may be to use Parallels or Fusion.

But, if you really want or need to install WINE, follow these directions:

http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I love how everyone hates on WINE, lol. I use it almost everyday to run little stupid .exe's, installing and maintaing a Windows system via Parallels etc is too much of a hassle.

Anyway ... do you have your $PATH set correctly? If it is looking for libraries and such that MacPorts uses and your $PATH isn't set correctly it will fail. You obviously have the Developer Tools installed with GCC, since it finds it, but I can't think of why it wouldn't be able to create an executable.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi,

For parallels we need to have windows installed and i don't have.

In the terminal I first set the path like this.

echo export PATH=\$PATH:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin$'\n'export MANPATH=\$MANPATH:/opt/local/man | sudo tee -a /etc/profile

and the result after entering the admin password is

export PATH=$PATH:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin
export MANPATH=$MANPATH:/opt/local/man

So, i guess all the path are set correctly? Is it of some help?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.