Word For Mac Endnotes Problem

Reaction score
At the end of my document there are two blank pages that I cannot
delete. When I try to delete them, the following message appears: "This is not a valid action for endnotes." Now I realize that Word thinks that my endnotes don't end until the bottom of the second blank page.

When I activate the end of line line symbol (sorry, I don't know the name of this symbol), the symbol appears throughout the two blank pages.

Now I'm trying to figure out why I can't backspace or delete these symbols from the two blank pages at the end of the document. Again, when I try to do so, the following error message prevents their deletion: "This is not a valid action for endnotes."

I think what I need to do at this point is declare to Word exactly where the Endnotes section ends. To do this, it seems like the following pathway would be helpful: insert / break / section break (next page).

The problem here is that all options within the "break" drop-down menu are greyed out and not selectable. I have placed the mouse cursor at the end of the Endnotes section to indicate where the section break should take place.

So at this point I'm stumped.
I can't seem to create a section break at the end of the Endnotes section, and thus, delete two blank pages that appear at the end of the document.

Thanks for any tips.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't have an answer for you but I do have a suggestion:

Ask the same question to one of the Mac Word 2008 MVPs who hang out in the Microsoft Mac Word forum. Great bunch of folks and very helpful.

http://www.officeformac.com/ProductForums/Word/

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Re: http://www.officeformac.com/ProductForums/Word/

I have had some success with the experts on this Word for Mac form, but not fully.

Beyond that, I did have some success with my endnotes problem today.
Here's what I did.

Switch to Normal view and use View | Footnotes to view the endnote pane.

In the drop-down menu that appears within the endnote pane I selected "Endnote
Separator," and this actually deleted one of the two blank pages at the end of my
document. Now I just have one blank page to deal with.

I tried the same procedure with the one remaining blank page but it didn't work a second time.

I guess I'll keep experimenting with things inside the endnotes pane.
That area seems to be the most productive for solving this problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.