nikon D200 and MB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid'09 MBP; 2.53GHz; 8GB RAM; OS X 10.8.2 | 2G iPod Touch 32GB | iPhone 5 iOS 7.1 16GB | iPad Air
my father and I have recently purchased the D200 to sort of "replace" the N65, and as we put them side-by-side we realized this whole digital photography thing is not as easy as we thought it was. I'm still working my way around all the buttons and menus and settings...

what I was wondering is, should I install the software that comes with the camera? or should I let iPhoto do its thing?

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Depends..........

What software came with the camera?

What file format to you shoot to i.e. Jpeg or Raw?

If you shoot jpeg then iphoto should be plenty for you (one caveat i have never used iphoto)

If you shoot RAW and do not have Apple's brilliant Aperture program then yes install the Nikon Capture NX bundled software

OP
MissMurder
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid'09 MBP; 2.53GHz; 8GB RAM; OS X 10.8.2 | 2G iPod Touch 32GB | iPhone 5 iOS 7.1 16GB | iPad Air
thanks Del.

i'll start my adventures in RAW soon, hopefully.
the camera came with a single CD which reads "Nikon Software Suite with Kodak EasyShare Software", and there's also a quicktime logo that got me a little confused.

photoshop also supports RAW, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
photoshop does RAW. iPhoto will have very limited editing capabilities and workflow capabilities compared to Aperture, Lightroom, and Photo Shop

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the camera came with a single CD which reads "Nikon Software Suite with Kodak EasyShare Software"

In that case throw it in the bin, get some real software

OP
MissMurder
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and what about the Nikon Capture NX bundled software you mentioned?

I'm guessing I don't have it... :Confused:

Village Idiot, I'll probably be working with Photoshop at first... even though I'm very curious about Aperture...

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Although I have used it, I havent used it long enough to form a valid opinion of it. Aperture meets all (well most) my current requirements.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!

I'm guessing I don't have it... :Confused:

Village Idiot, I'll probably be working with Photoshop at first... even though I'm very curious about Aperture...

If you're using PS, skip Aperture and look at Lightroom. Lightroom is made by Adobe and integrates nicely with PS. You can actually right click photos in Light Room and choose to edit them in PS. I believe it saves the edited copy on the stack in Light Room without destroying the original.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can actually right click photos in Light Room and choose to edit them in PS. I believe it saves the edited copy on the stack in Light Room without destroying the original.

You can do the same thing in Aperture

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
You can do the same thing in Aperture

Yes, but Light Room is made by Adobe, who also make Photo Shop, meaning that in the future additions and upgrades should allow the two to work perfectly together where as Aperture is made by another company and that doesn't always guarantee compatibility.

Integration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Aperture integrates pretty well with Photoshop, as long as you select it to be the application that you edit photos with. They both have free trials, why not try them both and decide.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.