What Happens If I Delete Main HD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook, Mac OS X, 1.42GHz PowerPC G4, 512 MB
hey i have a emac - i dont know the spec but, its been broke for along time i tried fixing it with a program called called pacific and obviously wrecked it even more now it wont even start up it just goes to the loading window and gets stuck at internet something...

so im fed up tryin to reboot it cause non of the key commands are working. so right now im backing up my files through firewire. and i was wondering what would happen if i deleted the main HD via disk utilities...or if anyone has another solution.

i tried repairing but that didnt work either. the rest of the HD's worked tho! so thats why im thinking of deleting it. but aint sure on what will happen if i do...so if anyone could let me know i would appreciate it :)

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
This is probably a case for apple. Perhaps calling their 1-800 number will be able to help you, since I haven't a clue what you are really asking for other than what will happen if you delete the hard drive- just that, you will have a deleted hard drive.

You also have to remember that wiping the hard drive is very serious stuff... you must know what will happen. I'd say just bring it into your local apple store, I am guessing London has one. That will be your best bet, most likely.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok thanks! i tried deleting it - it wouldnt let me lol which is good cause i was nervous bout it. so if i got to an apple store theyll charge me wont they? hmm but i guess thats my only option at the mo. but thanks!

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:O i think ive found a solution!!!

i had the reboot disc in the comp so im reinstalling through firewire!

Eureka!

if it works ill let you know :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
:O i think ive found a solution!!!

i had the reboot disc in the comp so im reinstalling through firewire!

Eureka!

if it works ill let you know :)

Glad to see you're making progress. Every mac user should :). But it might just be best to let a trained professional do it, in this case a 'Mac Genius'. You don't want to screw anything up. I don't know if they will charge you, it depends on how long you have had it and if it was under warranty (or extended warranty). Also, I think (think) that apple gives one free repair. Might be wrong, I'm not too sure. Good luck :).

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea true i tend to experiment alot and screw things up lol. and if this doesnt i work i will take your advice and go to the apple store lol. but im sure it should cause its just a regular reboot...i hope lol

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it didnt work!!!! :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you've backed up your files and you're happy that there's nothing on the disk you now need. Boot from your OS X disc and use Disk Utility to format the HDD and do a fresh install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.