Alternative Hardware Tests

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac PowerPc G4 1.25 GHZ Processor, 1Gb Ram
So today my girlfriend spilled water all over her macbook.
Immediately I unplugged it and removed the battery before anything shorted out. I wiped everything down without actually opening the case and the ram was soaked, the battery was pretty wet, but the hdd seemed okay.
So after soaking up all the water I could find I started it up and ran the apple hardware test and everything checked out okay.
But, I know for a fact the optical drive is toast, the computer now says that it has no optical and its performance has decreased significantly.

So I want to find a hardware test that will check every bit of ram, the whole 9 yards so I can find out what needs replaced.

Any help is greatly appreciated
cheers
-Mitch

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Firstly, I would disconnect the battery and allow the machine to completely dry for at least 72 hours. Water by itself will not damage the machine - its the shorting of the circuits that it can cause that will actually damage it. With any luck, these malfunctions that you're seeing are not permanent. I would give it a good amount of time to dry out before any further testing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.