Fire Fox 3 vs Safari?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz, 4gigs RAM white macbook, Seagate Hybrid Drive =)
what do you guys think its firefox better than safari, faster, or is it worth downloading and using instead of safari?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
I never liked Firefox. Safari is much faster and over all better to use.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i was reading in the mac life magazine and they seem to have given it a good rating, i just wanted to see more opinions on it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook OS Leopard
I have both on my macbook and I am leaning towards Safari. I think as it is designed for mac, and Firefox version for mac is just that, an add-on Firefox froze on a game I play and Safari just got on with it.

Reaction score
I agree ,Safari is native . Mozilla is an add on . Safari performs better
Its a different story in Windows land . Firefox out plays IE in nearly all feilds

I have both on my macbook and I am leaning towards Safari. I think as it is designed for mac, and Firefox version for mac is just that, an add-on Firefox froze on a game I play and Safari just got on with it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
For those of you have never tried Firefox 3, you might want to take another look if your experience is limited to older versions.

Personally, I think Safari is pretty sparse in terms of features and add-ons. I have made a concerted effort to use it as my sole browser, but in the end, FF3 wins for me in terms of speed and features, hands down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum Duo Core 20" iMac|
I've always used Firefox but recently switched over to Safari full time.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
For those of you have never tried Firefox 3, you might want to take another look if your experience is limited to older versions.

Personally, I think Safari is pretty sparse in terms of features and add-ons. I have made a concerted effort to use it as my sole browser, but in the end, FF3 wins for me in terms of speed and features, hands down.

Yeah I like you call FireFox3 FF3 which also happens to be my favorite Final Fantasy series ^-^."

Safari is pretty fast probably faster than FireFox but I like the security and my plug-ins.

Plus it doesn't hog as much ram as safari. ^-^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I like Firefox, but I say you should try both and just see what you like best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I think Safari, but I have firefox for the random page that won't display correctly in Safari.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I think Safari, but I have firefox for the random page that won't display correctly in Safari.

That's seem pretty true...designers kind of skimp out on checking how their layouts look in different web browsers and I know I get lazy and don't check Safari a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, core 2 duo 2.0 GHZ,1GB RAM,80 GB HDD
I like both , I switch back and forth but I use safari a bit more because it seems more integrated and smoother.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13 inch 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I have both on my Macbook and my husband uses Safari and I use Firefox.

I have had a few problems with speed on Firefox but I keep it for the DownloadthemAll tool. Firefox also seems to play YouTube faster than Safari.

I like both though, but Firefox has loads more add ons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Firefox 3 is faster than Safari 3 and has a dramatically smaller memory footprint. On top of that all, the Extensions and wider acceptance of Firefox as a major web platform (and subsequent enabling of Firefox's use with services like the full version of Windows Live Mail) make it preferable. While Safari 3 was better than Firefox 2 in my opinion, Firefox 3 is just a giant leap above it. And with MultiClutch, MacBook Pro users can enjoy Safari trackpad gestures in Firefox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13 inch 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Discerptor - having thought about my use of Firefox since I got 3 a few days ago, yes, you're right. It is much more stable and quicker than Safari.

I still keep both on my macbook but have only been using Firefox for ages. It's what I use at work on a PC as well so I'm very used to it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Firefox 3 is faster than Safari 3 and has a dramatically smaller memory footprint. On top of that all, the Extensions and wider acceptance of Firefox as a major web platform (and subsequent enabling of Firefox's use with services like the full version of Windows Live Mail) make it preferable. While Safari 3 was better than Firefox 2 in my opinion, Firefox 3 is just a giant leap above it. And with MultiClutch, MacBook Pro users can enjoy Safari trackpad gestures in Firefox.

Agreed, entirely. As I said before - those of you that are died in the wool Safari fans, really ought to give Firefox another glance - particularly if you haven't looked at it since version 2. With Firefox's new platform-specific skins, it now ever looks like a Mac-native application (better than one, IMO...).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Quick tip to make Firefox faster if you have a broadband connection:

In the URL bar type "about:config" (without quotes) and proceed past the warning.

Search for the preference called "network.http.pipelining" and set the value to true.

Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to true.

Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to 30.

And if you're confident in your computer's webpage-rendering speed, right-click on the list to create a new integer value called "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set the value to 0.

Also, if you want the buttons bar to have more of a "Safari"-ish feel, right-click one of the buttons at the top and click "Customize." Then set it to show Icons (only) and use small icons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
I started out using Firefox when I switched to Mac because that was what I was using on my PCs. Then I switched to Safari in order to get the convenience of syncing my Macs through .Mac. I HATED loosing the Google Toolbar, and other Firefox goodies not available on Safari. Then I discovered Firefox 3 with Foxmarks and all kinds of upgraded features, including better internet security, faster page loading, and better stability. I'm back to Firefox and loving every moment of it. My beloved Google Toolbar is back!!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I have used Safari and FF3 together for 4 months now and have decided to make FF3 my preferred browser because of the type of add-ons I use frequently.

Safari is great as well ..... it's just a personal preference. to use FF3

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks everyone for your opinions, i think i'll give firefox 3 a try :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.