Is This Normal

Reaction score
I got a 17" macbook pro and when I open and close the screen at a certain angle I hear a little click I was wondering if some of you guys have this Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Is that the hooks dropping down into the latch mechanism?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Mine has been "clicking" when I close the screen for a couple months...
It started where I had to close the screen slowly/a couple of times for it to do it. Now it does it all the time.

I have not really worried about it though...

OP
M
Reaction score
Mine has been "clicking" when I close the screen for a couple months...
It started where I had to close the screen slowly/a couple of times for it to do it. Now it does it all the time.

I have not really worried about it though...

Mine only makes 1 click at a certain angle its not loud at all i dont know if this is just how some are I dont know??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
The MacBook Pro, and normal MacBook do not have latches, well the newer versions anyway. They close magnetically. So if I'm correct you are hearing the magnets. It's nothing to worry about.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The MacBook Pro, and normal MacBook do not have latches, well the newer versions anyway. They close magnetically. So if I'm correct you are hearing the magnets. It's nothing to worry about.

The MacBook Pro does indeed have latches. They are two little hooks that drop down magnetically from the lid and drop into two holes at the very edge of the palmrest. They do make a barely audible click when dropping, although the OP doesn't believe this is related because it occurs in a position where the hooks are nowhere close to having dropped.

OP
M
Reaction score
The MacBook Pro does indeed have latches. They are two little hooks that drop down magnetically from the lid and drop into two holes at the very edge of the palmrest. They do make a barely audible click when dropping, although the OP doesn't believe this is related because it occurs in a position where the hooks are nowhere close to having dropped.

Yes it occurs at a certain angle when the screen is not even near where the screen latches down!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.