Macbook stutters?

Reaction score
This is an odd problem. I've had my Macbook for about 2 years now, bought it in the first batch of the dual core Intel chips. I love the little guy, however.

Recently I'm having to reboot every few days because otherwise everything crawls to a near standstill. Switching between applications takes a good 30 seconds of spinning beach ball, creating a new tab in firefox, opening a document could take minutes. After a reboot things are fine for a few days (more or less depending on use) and then it goes right back to slow as molasses. (I'm using the same applications I was 2 years ago and was not noticing this issue then.)

It also now takes a considerable amount of time to wake up. As in sometimes I'll get up and get myself something to drink while I wait. This doesn't seem normal to me.

Any suggestions? Is there any sort of maintenance I should be doing to the little guy to kick it back into gear?

(I have used MacJanitor to force the daily/weekly/monthly tasks to run just to be sure they are getting done. But that doesn't seem to have helped.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.