So I'm almost dead set on getting a 12" iBook

S

stephen.sharpe

Hi guys,

I've decided that I quite like the iBook 12" as I am looking to buy a laptop between now and February.

I'm basically wanting some final opinions. All the reviews seem good.

My budget is enough for the book itself and a ram upgrade, so thats all in hand. I'm a student who mainly uses his machine for schoolwork, office tasks and internetting. Odd game, maybe... but not often. Stability and durability is more important to me. I also need it to last me a good few years. Do you think I've picked the right notebook?

My first impressions on test driving it were good. Although the trackpad seemed alittle unresponsive. Though I'm guessing thats either because it was either a) ex display and has been hammered b) needed an extre 256mb RAM or so,

So, opinions please :)

Regards,

Stephen

P.S. Its very neat looking to. And crystal clear screen. I assume that the screen angle can be adjusted smoothly?

OP
C

code777

buy it! now!

yes the track pads at the stores are destroyed so you can't judge it from that. mine works fine.

get that extra RAM, min of 512 total! from what you said the iBook will suit you good for at least 3yrs. Its a reall good value at 999 for an Apple. Airport installed already, you are golden.

The only thing I hear people complain about on the stock 12" is the HDD. Some people like lots of space and feel 30 is not enough.

more people will chime in soon...

OP
S

stephen.sharpe

Sweet. I think 30 will be enough for me... I don't use any humungous programs or music collections.

I can't get it just yet (money) but should be able to very soon. :)

Apple aren't gonna release a revision any time soon are they?

And what about the screen? Is it a single-angle tilt, or a smooth any-position one?

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

any posotion... i just got my ibook... ahh it is amazing i had read reviews about the trackpad giving problems... but as for know it is way better than the majority stated it to be (opinion). as for know the only major problem is the fact that the family is getting on to me..becasue i wont leaven this ting alone. but how can you.
also its funny casue my uncle he is like some big PC guy well i tought him every thing he knows and i work form him. kinda weird. but yea he laughs at me for buying a mc when theyhave a horrible OS lol i loaugh and then try to tell him that OSX is a much better os over all comapred to windows and he dosnt listen.... did i mention he isn afraid of change...
also aty apples online stor you can put up to 80 gig hd so yea ir amble dont i

OP
M

meltbanana314

stephen.sharpe said:
Apple aren't gonna release a revision any time soon are they?

They just revised it about a month ago - they won't do another revision until well after June, I bet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Bought mine yesterday, I got a 14in though, but I spoke to the apple rep. ibooks were just updated last month, all the stores and online are shipping the revised ones now. I was gonna wait till they started shipping with tiger, but the rep said tiger isn't expected anytime soon, sometime between the end of january and the end of June he said. So no reason to wait.

OP
S

stephen.sharpe

I'm probably over worrying now... but i read somewhere that the iBook has a heat issue to the left of the trackpad. It seemed to me that this was either a) older models or b) powerbook confusion. Would be grateful if someone could reassure me on this. :)

Stephen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
The ibook does get warm, hot is pushing it, warm would be a bit more acurate. It is not warm enough to cause any major issues though. I found that an icurve works to reduce the heat a little. My 14" got no hotter than my wife's gateway laptop.

OP
S

serrot

my 12" ibook just came in the mail yesterday and i'm loving it.
i got a 60 gb hard drive upgrade and i'll be upgrading the RAM later.

warm is definitely the way to put it,not hot.

--caro

OP
M

meltbanana314

Another reason to like the iBook is the fact that it's plastic, so it doesn't conduct heat as well as the 12-inch PowerBook (which, I'm told actually uses the aluminum case itself to dissipate a portion of the heat.)

Ack.

OP
S

stephen.sharpe

Cool, thanks for that :)

Now all I've got to decide is: bluetooth or no bluetooth. I have a BT phone, but I dunno if its gonna be *that* much use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buying One Soon...
I love my 12" iBook I bought in November. Like others said the only down side is the 30GB hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buying One Soon...
On my iBook nothing really, I keep most of my MP3's, movies, and other big files on my Dell PC. I primarily use my iBook for traveling and using the internet/email with it so the 30GB is not really really an issue (with OSX and everything installed I still have 21GB of free space left).

OP
S

S Messina

sorry i kind of high jack your thread but i also want to get a 12 inch ibook and was wondering what are the bad things that have happend to yours so far..

all i can find are amazing things i just wanna hear some of the downside

OP
S

stephen.sharpe

As far as I can tell there are none. Its just a well made machine. You'll get faults with any brand... Apple are just very good at minimizing it from what these people tell me :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The trackpad can be a b1tch on times...

But that's about all I can think of...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.