Open Office v Neo Office

Reaction score
Have just downloaded open office for Mac. While browsing, I noticed there is a more mac like office app in Neo office.

Which of these are better? My needs are pretty simple, just word processing and the occasional spreadsheet.

Both are free though and Open Office seems very good on first look.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini, 20" Cinema, wireless keyboard and mouse.
Have just downloaded open office for Mac. While browsing, I noticed there is a more mac like office app in Neo office.

Which of these are better? My needs are pretty simple, just word processing and the occasional spreadsheet.

Both are free though and Open Office seems very good on first look.

They are both good enough and it depends on what you like.

My vote goes to Neo office though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Until the Mac version of Open Office comes out and you aren't forced to install X11, my vote goes for NeoOffice as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
I tried and preferred NeoOffice as well, and it doesn't require X11, as Kash mentioned. X11 gave me some problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro: 15"/2.33GHz/2Gb
Another NeoOffice fan.

I have OpenOffice installed on a Xubuntu laptop and I (and the wife) don't like it as much as NeoOffice on the MBP. But don't get me wrong, OO is pretty good. If I were stuck with it, I'd be happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB
Actually OpenOffice 3.0 Beta does not require X11.

I have used both, and find NeoOffice with a slight edge in usability. OpenOffice 3 Beta crashed for the first time on Saturday as I was working Presentation. NeoOffice has never crashed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz, 4gigs RAM white macbook, Seagate Hybrid Drive =)
personaly i like more open office, i still have it installed but i already got office 08 instead

Reaction score
i LOVE open office.
having just made the switch....i think open office looks and acts EXACTLY like office 2003

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro w/ Snow Leopard, iPhone 3GS
Buy iWork instead, tis fantastic.
If not, NeoOffice all the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
I installed both, neo office seems better at first glance.

Im looking at iwork also. still undecided.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro w/ Snow Leopard, iPhone 3GS
iWork is beyond perfect...beautiful templates and works seemlessly with any version of Word.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
Id love to buy office 04 if I can find it cheap somewhere.

I may get iwork 08... taking a trip to apple store sat to look. I think I get a 10% discount from my work on anything in the store. :D

Reaction score
Neo Office is more stable, and loads quicker, no X11, no beta, works like a flippin' charm. Love it!

OO did some strange things with .xls files / colored cells (for me), and it loaded slow partly due to x11.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
So...has anybody tried OpenOffice.org (remember, the full name of the program includes the ".org" -- it's in the manual) for Mac yet now that the X11-less version is out?

Still prefer NeoOffice??

I'm curious...should I bother downloading OOo?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB
I have been using OpenOffice since the private Beta came out. Now with the full version, I am using OO most of the time. My work is primarily word processing for transparency with MS Word for Windows, and OO does fine. Recently I opened some powerpoint files with no problems. I have done some work with the spreadsheet, but I had worked with Excel (Windows) for 8 years in a corporate analyst position, so nothing compares to that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, Macbook Pro & iPhone GS3
Buy iWork instead, tis fantastic.
If not, NeoOffice all the way.

I am a long time MS Excel (PC) user and have moved to NeoO 2.X for some months now. Pretty good though there are certain shortcuts that I am missing. Installed OO 3.X and my files did not open properly (the left columns got mixed with the cells). Had to uninstall and gone back to NeoO. Not sure why.

I have tried to use iWorks (installed trial version twice) and on both occasions had to uninstall almost immediately. It is one of those programs that I simply cannot feel right about.

I wanted to get the MS Office 2008 Mac version but the feedback was lousy. I had a playaround on the MS Office 2008 Mac in one of the Appleshop machines and it felt okay. So I am none the wiser as to its useability.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.