org.apache.catalina.startup.bootstrap

Reaction score
Hi

My girlfriend just had a repair done on an old iMac G5 (PowerPC).

Running OS 10.4.1

I think they gave her a new logic board.

Since she got it back, when she tries to shut down,

The following shows up in the menu bar:

org.apache.catalina.startup.bootstrap

This interrupts shut down; you have to quit this to be able to shut down.

How can we get rid of this?

I can't seem to find it in applications.

I'm asking here because JAVA appears in the dock during this, so I figure they're somehow related.....

It's a mystery to us.

Thanks

-Rich Campbell

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
This is what it is. "org.apache.catalina.startup.bootstrap"

Boostrap loader for Catalina. This application constructs a class loader for use in loading the Catalina internal classes (by accumulating all of the JAR files found in the "server" directory under "catalina.home"), and starts the regular execution of the container. The purpose of this roundabout approach is to keep the Catalina internal classes (and any other classes they depend on, such as an XML parser) out of the system class path and therefore not visible to application level classes.

But I have no idea how to get rid of it. Can you shutdown the machine at all or not?

And also updating to OS 10.4.11 via software update would be a good idea too. Might fix the issue.

Reaction score
Run in headless mode

It's a bug in tomcat (yes, Java-related). You'll need to use the terminal to tell tomcat to run in headless mode.

Towards the top of the startup.sh program, right below the line:

#!/bin/sh

enter the line:

export JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true"

You may need to use spotlight to find where startup.sh is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.