G4 fell over

D

DailyStar

Hi guys, Im new to macs and I just started a job where I manage nothing but macs :( Anyhow, this morning one of the guys knocked over a g4 and now it wont turn on, I opened it up and checked all the peripherals and wires. The mainboard shows a red light and nothing else. The moniter comes up gray with a folder in the middle and a flashing question mark and then the finder symbol. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks a million

Reaction score
look and see if the HD is plugged in because that ? in the folder means that the computer cannot find the OS and that is a bad thing

Reaction score
If the hard drive is still plugged in you might have to reinstall the software unless you have a program that can recover the data on the hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Being a sudden jolt, it could have caused a head crash which would make the hard drive inoperable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
immdb said:
Being a sudden jolt, it could have caused a head crash which would make the hard drive inoperable.

I agree.
If the HD cable is correctly fixed, and it still shows the "?" means it can't find a system on the HD. And a sudden jolt while accessing the HD can cause it's immediate destruction.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.