Is It Time For A Replacement Battery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
My Macbook battery has done 424 cycles and has started to behave kind of strange. When It's fully charged and I run it down it shows the warning that appears to tell me I have a low battery and it gets down to 3% and then goes back up to 12%, then it goes down a little bit more and just shuts off, no warning or anything, it just shuts off. I've tried calibrating the battery several times but because its not reaching 0% and sleeping like it should its not doing any good. Does anyone have a clue as to what's going on.

OP
halo200
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Click on the Apple in the Menu Bar and Click "About this Mac" Then click "More Info" Then choose Power in the list on the left and under Battery Information it will say Health Information and then you can see the amount of cycles its done.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If your MacBook battery has done 424 cycles, you've got your money's worth out of it. :D Average battery does around 300 cycles before replacing.

Time for a new one. Shop around, I've seen them advertised for much less than at your local Apple store.

Regards.

OP
halo200
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How long does a new one last? like with the brightness all the way down and just doing some web surfing and typing documents with music playing? I just need to get as much time out of it as possible

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
How long does a new one last? like with the brightness all the way down and just doing some web surfing and typing documents with music playing? I just need to get as much time out of it as possible

I just got my macbook not to long ago. I have around 18 cycles on it. With the brightness turned down, surfing the web and playing music, my battery probably last 3 hours or so? I haven't come close to draining the battery though.

You do know that you shouldn't let your battery drain and die right? That is considered one cycle and should only be done about once a month.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

Doing this often will shorten the battery life.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Ok, my MacBook is about 6 weeks old and it says "14 cycles". Does this mean I am charging it too much???

OP
halo200
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whoa you guys have such low counts compared to me :D mind you, I have had this since 2006 :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
LIthium Ion batteries only need to be deep cycled (fully charged doen then rechargew) about every 30 cycles, and that is just to recalibrate itself

Li-Ion batteries do not have a memory effect like older batteries, but it does sound like your battery has lived out its life and it is time for a replacement

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Apple can install a new battery for you at low cost. I would also suggest buying it from Apple just so it can be trusted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.