Increases RAM From Another iBook

Reaction score
Does anyone know whether I could use the RAM memory from an iBook (who's hard-drive crashed) to increase the memory in another iBook? My fiance and I had the same iBooks but my hard-drive died suddenly. In order to increase her RAM memory, I was wondering if I could just take the RAM out of my old iBook and add it to hers. I'm not sure whether the hard-drive crashing would have any effect on the RAM.

Here are the specs for both of the iBooks:

iBook G4
1.2 GHz PowerPC
256 MB

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes, if they are of the same spec and there's an open slot in the to-be-upgraded iBook, it should be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lombard 400, 190cs, Wallstreet 233
From the specifications you listed it is not possible. Each iBook has 256MB of built in memory on the motherboard. You will not be able to take this memory out and use it in her iBook.
You may want to look into a new HD for the iBook as the G4 iBooks are still worth fixing.

OP
holden636
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I just discovered that the her iBook only has one slot for RAM so I can't simply put another piece of memory in. Thanks for taking the time to offer help anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.