Monitoring Bandwidth Usage on Network

Reaction score
I know there are other threads regarding this on here, but I had a more specific question that was not covered.

Recently (if you don't know on here yet) Comcast announced that starting October 1, 2008, they are implementing a 250gb limit on ALL INTERNET ACTIVITY each month.

While my internet usage and file transfer stats fall well short of this limit, I am more concerned about how online gaming on my Wii and Xbox360 will affect this limit.

Does anyone know of any Mac software that would allow you to monitor all network internet traffic from your desktop?

I have an Intel iMac

Thanks for any help that's out there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know of any specific software for the Mac but I'm sure if there is something, someone will suggest it.

I would first ask Comcast customer support to DEFINE what they consider is and is not included in the monthly 250 Gb limit. Does it refer to ordinary traffic like posting to this forum? Does it include the transferring of data during an on line game session? Or does it also include incoming and outgoing packets during normal net traffic?

If the answer is yes to all the above, I believe I would start looking for another ISP. I know Comcast has been under a lot of government pressure for their throttling fiasco, but it seems to me they're penalizing ordinary folks for a few who have taken advantage of the system.

Regards.

OP
W
Reaction score
I don't know of any specific software for the Mac but I'm sure if there is something, someone will suggest it.

I would first ask Comcast customer support to DEFINE what they consider is and is not included in the monthly 250 Gb limit. Does it refer to ordinary traffic like posting to this forum? Does it include the transferring of data during an on line game session? Or does it also include incoming and outgoing packets during normal net traffic?

If the answer is yes to all the above, I believe I would start looking for another ISP. I know Comcast has been under a lot of government pressure for their throttling fiasco, but it seems to me they're penalizing ordinary folks for a few who have taken advantage of the system.

Regards.

It is ALL internet usage.

I would love to look for another provider, however, the only other provider is VERIZON who pulls the same stunt, only their limit is even lower than comcast.

I believe that verizon FIOS internet can get you around this, but it is not offered in my area as of yet.

The real problem is that the US government has allowed telecom companies to set up monopolies through loopholes in FCC regulations.

Even worse, I called Comcast asking for them to give me my typical usage, or even my usage from last month, and they said "oh we can't do that."

Meanwhile, they're copying every bit of data to a database for the US government to take a peek at without a warrant if they feel the need, but I can't find out my own usage rates.

Ugh. Sorry for ranting. It is just very frustrating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
I use Surplusmeter it runs in the back round when you start your computer up and whenever you open the program it shows you stats on your download and upload totals. You can also set it to say you have a 250GB cap and it will tell you how much you have left.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good one! Just what the OP is looking for. I think I'll also grab a copy even though my ISP (Verizon FIOS) has no limit.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.