Bootcamp Windows install stuck on setup

Reaction score
Hello, I am attempting to install Windows XP on my Macbook using Bootcamp. I can create a partition successfully (32 GB) and when I restart it to install Windows it begins setup. However when it reaches the point "Setup is Starting Windows" it remains there and does not move forward. I am trying to install Windows Home Edition w/ SP2.

I have read that this can be caused by having USB devices connected, but I have tried it with nothing connected so I don't think that is the problem. If you need more information just ask. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What format did you choose for the Windows partition? I ask because if you chose FAT-32 it probably will not work as Boot Camp tends to create partitions larger than what it shows on the bar graph. FAT-32 is limited to 32 Gb. If you chose NTFS, it doesn't matter.

Make sure your Windows disk is a full install edition including SP2. It should either be a MS boxed version or an OEM system builders version. You can not use a recovery disk, OEM re-install disk, an OEM branded install disk, or any type of upgrade disk.

Regards.

OP
O
Reaction score
I don't think I've chosen a format yet, it simply asks me what size I want the partition, not what format I want for it. I have also tried making a partition of 30 GB and 24 GB and they did not progress past the "Setup is Starting Windows" stage either.

Edit: I have seen in another thread what I think was a reference to not choosing the "quick format" in boot camp and instead choosing NTFS. Is there a way to change the format in Boot Camp before starting the Windows installation?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I distinctly remember being asked which format I wanted to use when creating the partition with the Boot Camp assistant. Once the Windows installation starts it then gives you a choice of which partition to format. (Boot Camp must be chosen)

See page 10 of the Boot Camp installation guide. Perhaps you're missing a step in the process. Boot Camp will do a quick format after it creates the partition. The final format is accomplished during the Windows installation.
That's why it's important to choose the correct partition.

Regards.

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks for your help so far! I have not been given an option to format the partition before starting the Windows installation. Perhaps this is a problem with Boot Camp? Page 10 of the manual just gave me information on the Windows installation itself and did not tell me anything about formatting beforehand in Boot Camp, just formatting during installation and I have not reached that point yet. It restarts and launches into a blue screen titled "Windows Setup" after I click "Start Windows Installation" in Boot Camp and then sets up lots of crap and then stays on "Setup is Starting Windows". I don't see this referenced in the manual so maybe this is not supposed to happen.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Page 10 in part:

Formatting the Windows Partition

Even though Boot Camp pre-formats the Windows partition, this partition can’t be used to boot the computer. You must reformat the new Windows partition using the Windows installer.

To format the partition for Windows XP:

Select an NTFS or FAT format:

NTFS—Provides better reliability and security, but you will not be able to save files to the Windows volume from Mac OS X.

FAT—Provides better compatibility, allowing you to read and write files on the Windows volume from Mac OS X. This option is available only if the Windows partition you created in Step 2 is 32 GB or smaller.

Important: Do not select “Leave the current file system intact.” To successfully install Windows XP, you must select one of the other options.

Note above = the remark about Boot Camp pre-formatting the partition.

Once the Windows setup starts it should allow you to choose NTFS or FAT. If the Windows setup is hanging (that's what appears is happening) there may be something wrong with the disk you're using. You are using the correct type of disk, right?

Regards.

OP
O
Reaction score
Yes, I'm using a Windows XP Home Edition Disc w/ SP2. It is brand new and there are no scratches or smudges on it. As I said I have not gotten to the point where I can choose the format, it hangs right before I would get to that screen. I still cannot choose a pre-format in Boot Camp, is it supposed to ask me about the pre-format before or after making the parition in Boot Camp? And is the "Leave the current file system intact" option is in Boot Camp or during the Windows install? I'll try to see if I can find these options.

I think there may be a problem with my DVD drive or CD because when it is stuck on "Setup is Starting Windows" it sounds like it is trying to load the CD and then stopping after it fails to. It loads and sets up from the CD fine before then however and it also reads it fine in OSX. Other CD's are working fine, I have tried installing other programs and they have installed successfully. Again, the Windows CD is not damaged at all and I do not see why it would not read successfully but I don't know what else it could be, besides the Boot Camp pre-format stuff. Thanks again!

Edit: I also have Boot Camp 2.0, I have looked for an update but all I can find on the Apple site is 2.1 for different versions of Windows in .exe format. I ran Software update but it did not update Boot Camp. Is there a newer version and if so how/where do I download it?

OP
O
Reaction score
I have solved the problem!! After doing everything but completely wiping my harddrive and reinstalling OS X, I did so and Windows then installed successfully! Others who are having this problem should hopefully be able to use this as a last resort. Thanks for the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.