problem with external HD between OS's

Reaction score
I am having a small problem with my Lacie external hard drive, the problem being that i can use it with my Macbook but it will not work with a windows OS, even though the windows machine detects the hardware it does not appear as a useable disk.

Could this be a problem with the format of the HD, which is currentle set to Mac OS extended (case sensitive, journaled)? i know there is an option to format the disk to just Mac OS extended, but i cannot try this as my macbook hd is full and i have no other means of storing the info that is on the external.

Hopefully one of you guys can help, and if it a case of re-formatting i can then try to borrow an external from somebody.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Its a format problem

HFS+, the mac format is not recorgnised by windows without extra software

FAT 32 (called DOS Format if you format using Disk Utility) will work with both but I think you cannot have any single file over 4 gig on that format

The only other format that the two can share is NTFS, but that would require you to format the disk on a windows PC and then add NTFS support for the mac

Go to the macfuse site and download the package for your os

MacFUSE-Core-10.4-1.5.0.dmg for tiger
MacFUSE-Core-10.5-1.5.1.dmg for leopard

http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/

additionally download the NTFS support from here

http://www.ntfs-3g.org/

this will allow write access to a NTFS drive

So if you don't have files over 4 gig, go for FAT 32, if you have large files then NTFS will be your best bet

Reaction score
Windows cannot even read the MacOS file system. You have two options:
1) Format the drive FAT32 so that both OS's can access it
2) Format the drive in NTFS in Windows and get/buy an NTFS driver for MacOS so Mac can access the drive.

<louishen beat me to it>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
That's cool bubba, good advice

BTW, MacFuse is open source so you get NTFS support for free

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

One solution everyone forgot to mention....

You can read and write to HFS+ from Windows using MacDrive 7.0. Go here for information and pricing:

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/

This may be easier since it does not require re-formatting the external LaCie HD to FAT-32 or NTFS. Re-formatting the drive will destroy all the data on it which means you would have to backup everything before.

Give MacDrive a try.

Regards.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Cheers guys looks like i will be going for the FAT32 route as soon as i can find somebody with enough free time and space on their mac for me to back up my files to so i can format the external.

Cheers once again you guys have helped me solve a problem that has been driving me crazy for like 2 weeks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.