• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video Editing with a Mac Pro Questions

Reaction score
HI Folks,

Newbie here,

I've never owned a Mac and have been using PC's and Leitch DPS hardware and software for video editing. Now I am thinking strongly about buying a Mac Pro and switching to Final Cut.

Can anyone tell if this machine will perform properly for this ( I plan to buy it used)

2 x 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
6GB RAM 667 DDR2 FB-DIMM
74TB SPACE - 3 HARD DRIVES:
1) 500GB Hard Drive
2) 500GB Hard Drive
3) 74GB Western Digital Raptor
Radeon X1900 XT 512MB video card
16x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Bluetooth
Mac OS X Leopard
AirPort Extreme Card

I am also concernede about the video card as I've heard mixed reviews.

And finally, how does one view or preview video on an analogue Television monitor, output to a VCR etc without an additional card? Is that possible?

Currently using a Canon XL1 and I assume I can capture to the computer via firewire, but is there any viewing features from the timeline to watch what I'm doing without purchasing another card or some type of Firewire to analogue converter.

Hope some kind soul can help before I take the plunge.

Cheers

Rick Davis

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
That is a high level pro system so it should be fine. Look into if there is a hardware test function on the original install DVD that came with the system. You would prefer to run those tests when buying used.

Firewire is the way for DV tape cameras. I really didn't understand the rest of that question.

Apple has a cable gadget that allows DVI to a TV. I suspect you are looking for another answer though. There are some inexpensive cards that pros use for both input and output.

You might want to hold off until you do some more research and feel comfortable with your answers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac Pro 2 X 2.66 Dual-Core
the way you would use the tv for viewing is by using your xl1 just like any dvcam deck. FireWire from the camera and in... I ***-u-me you will be on final cut... In the prefrences of final cut set the preview to dv FireWire device. Out of the camera you use RCA to your tv. It will work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.